News from New Mexico Solar Energy Association nmsea-news at nmsea.org
Fri Mar 23 17:26:53 MDT 2012

Greetings, Solar Supporters!
Here are the Latest News, Events & Announcements from NMSEA
Please Check Our Event Calendar
<http://www.nmsea.org/Events/Event_Calendar.php> for Additional Event
Listings

SUBSCRIBE/UNSUBSCRIBE at the end of this message
  Or contact us with questions & comments.  We value your input!

*_ANNOUNCEMENTS
_*
*- **Volunteers Needed for Upcoming NMSEA Events!!!
**- **NMSEA SunPaper Archives Online
*/-/ *New Mexico** Solar Energy Association on Facebook*
//

*_EVENTS_***

- *MARCH 25: Solar Home Tour & Workshops - /Santa Fe, NM
/*- *MARCH 27: NMSEA Albuquerque Chapter Meeting - /Albuquerque, NM
/*- ***MARCH 28:  Free Webinar - Municipal Policies & Building Codes
Spur Businesses ****- /Online/**//*
- ***APRIL 4: USGBC Luncheon - "Green Wheels for Green Businesses" ****-
/Albuquerque, NM/*
- *APRIL 28: SynergyFest** **- /Las Vegas, NM
/*- *May 13-17:  ASES National Solar Conference & World Renewable Energy
Forum **– /Denver, CO/*
_______________________________________
*//*/**/

*_ANNOUNCEMENTS
_*

*Volunteers Needed for Upcoming NMSEA Events!!!*

NMSEA's mission to promote clean, renewable energy and sustainability in
New Mexico relies on our volunteer member efforts!  With one of NMSEA's
busiest seasons, Earth Day, approaching our office receives countless
requests to offer a table presence at community events.  If you may be
interested to assist NMSEA during local, community events as a general
volunteer, the following opportunities are currently available!

*/Sat, April 21: Albuquerque BioPark Earth Day Celebration (Zoo or
Botanic Garden) 10am-2pm/*
Tabling with literature and a few demos (Small sun oven / PV fountain) &
lots of people are expected!  We can't commit to attend this event until
we find a couple of volunteers willing to pick up literature & equipment
from our office, set up the booth, staff the booth, then pack up &
return the equipment, so please let us know if you may be interested to
assist us at the BioPark.

*/Sun, April 22: La Montanita Earth Day 10am-5pm/*
Always a fun event, table with literature and a few demos (Small sun
oven / PV fountain).  We need a couple volunteers willing to pick up
literature & equipment from our office, set up the booth, staff the
booth, then pack up & return the equipment.  Please confirm your
willingness to assist us as a volunteer during this event so that we may
confirm our availability to attend!

/*Sun, April 22: Madrid Earth Day 11am-5pm  at the ballpark.*/
Madrid is always a trip!  If the weather is decent, we'll set up the big
sun oven.  We have volunteers for this one, but please come on by for a
visit anyway!

If you may be interested & willing to help, or would like additional
information, please contact the NMSEA office: (505) 246-0400
Thanks for your support!
_______________________________________

*__*

*__*

*NMSEA SunPaper Archives - Now Available Online
*

*/ /*A selection of past SunPaper editions are now also available for
reference online. For more details, please visit the NMSEA website
<http://nmsea.org/Sunpaper/index.php>
_______________________________________

*New Mexico Solar Energy Association on Facebook

*NMSEA is also using Facebook to spread the word about our educational
outreach, upcoming events & fundraising drives.
If you would like updates about solar energy innovations, events and
sustainability related news, please visit NMSEA on Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Mexico-Solar-New-Mexico-Solar-Energy-Association/142681782410865?ref=ts>
and press the "Like" button!
______________________________________

*__*

*__*

*_EVENTS
_*

*MARCH 25: Solar Home Tour & Workshops - /Santa Fe, NM
/*1-5pm at 115 Coyote Ridge Ct, Santa Fe & Educational workshops at the
Solar Model Home 700 Coyote Ridge Road

Visit Santa Fe for the final solar home tour and workshops!  2.7 miles
west on Alameda from St. Francis Dr. Right on Coyote Ridge Road to end
of the road.
For more information, please see event details online
<http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=pafv4ecab&v=001dd8yjkr0-rAROBHEoe3CHKN4i8Jr_Cu5pr4UNpwCxKr2rTiWu2Fc7IsCXLF9t65bazYpcCcem-hoq9kOH_PNUdYT06oGveEX8lAVH3inkgQ%3D>
or contact Alan Hoffman, Natural Homes (505) 316-0449,
village at newvillage.com
_______________________________________

*MARCH 27: NMSEA Albuquerque Chapter Meeting - /Albuquerque, NM
/*6-8pm at REI, 1550 Mercantile Ave NE , 87107

Join NMSEA for our monthly Chapter Meeting in Albuquerque.  In March,
Odes Armijo-Caster of Sacred Power Corporation will be discussing topics
of "Solar Thermal," heating water and air with the sun.  All those with
Solar Thermal systems or interest in solar applications are encouraged
to attend this evening's presentation, then stay for networking, door
prizes and finger foods!

Free & open to the public. Donations welcome. For more information,
please contact NMSEA (505) 246-0400, info at nmsea.org
_______________________________________

* ****March 28:  Free Webinar - Municipal Policies & Building Codes Spur
Businesses ****- /Online/**/
/*Noon ET, 1.25 hours

Live online, hear 3 presenters discuss the actions that communities can
take to improve their economies by implementing sustainable policies.
Presentations include 1."How Zoning Codes Can Save Tax Dollars" by
Daniel Spitzer. 2. Municipal Policies and Building Codes that Can
Attract Business & Stimulate Green Building in Your Municipality by
Carolynne White. PLUS a Cast Study "The Results of Chicago's New Energy
& Building Codes by Sanford Stein.* *

*This webinar is hosted by Sustainable Cities Exchange. LEARN MORE or
Register at http://www.SustainabelCitiesExchange.com/infowebinar.htm.
Contact Sierra Dall at 303.554.1833 or SierraDall at SustainableCitiesX.com
<mailto:SierraDall at SustainableCitiesX.com> if you have any questions.*
______________________________________
*
APRIL 4: "Green Wheels for Green Businesses" **- /Albuquerque, NM/*
11:30–1pm at the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center, 2401 12th Street NW ABQ
87104
Cost: $25 USGBC-NM Members; $30 Non-members; $18 Emerging Green Builders

Luncheon Topic: “Green Wheels for Green Business”

-Learn how you can drive a vehicle that’s cleaner for the environment
and greener for your wallet.
-See how gasoline verses electric vehicles compare in efficiency,
pollution, cost and payback.
-Hear how to replace gas/oil with PV/Wind for an environmental and
monetary payback.
-Get some points on how to determine the right EV or PHEV for your needs.
-Plus - a preview of the upcoming EV conversion classes.
-Plug-in vehicle charging stations
-Commercial applications
-New Mexico and Santa Fe current position in the national charging
station market
-Long Term Goals
-Cost Analysis
-Next Steps of Actions
-Local Stations
-Charging Station Equipment Manufacturers (EVSE) and examples
-Plug-In Vehicle Manufacturers and examples

Presenters: Monte Ogdahl, President NMSEA, Gillis Lang, parter in
Linograt, LLC

Monte grew up on the family ranch in Montana powered by solar (wind).
His first profession was electronics with extensive experience and
education in many electronics fields including the Navy.  In 1981 Monte
received his California general contractors license with a solar
supplemental. The majority of his work was as a design build contractor
in residential and commercial.  Monte moved to Santa Fe in 1992, did
remodels and taught electronics and PV classes at SFCC for two years
where he began researching electric vehicles.

Monte has been on the board of NMSEA since 1994. He has lived with and
worked on off-grid solar electric, heating and water systems since 1997.
Two years ago Monte purchased an electric truck that had been converted
in 1994 which he is now diving while upgrading and testing new lithium
battery systems with a detachable “gen-set” (hybrid).  He teaches EV
Basics & Safety and EV Conversion classes as well as consulting for
individuals and groups doing conversions.

Gillis Lang is a parter in Linograt LLC, a private Santa Fe, New Mexico
company formed in 2007 that assists and consults with private companies
with commercial locations in New Mexico in the funding, equipment,
administration and revenue related to on-site commercial plug-in vehicle
charging stations. Mr. Lang's background includes government information
and economics.

Register:  www.usgbcnm.org <http://www.usgbcnm.org/>
______________________________________

*//*

*APRIL 28 : SynergyFest** **- /Las Vegas, NM/**//*
10am-4pm at NMHU Melody Park

SynergyFest celebrates renewable energy, local commerce and food
production, resource conservation, and other means to a sustainable
future for the communities of northeastern New Mexico.
Each year this event grows, with 2100 people attending in 2011.   We are
currently accepting applications for vendor spaces and advertising.
Please see our website at www.synergyfest.com
<http://www.synergyfest.com> or contact Cheryl Zebrowski at 505-718-6932
______________________________________

*May 13-17 :  ASES National Solar Conference & World Renewable Energy
Forum **– /Denver, CO/*
**
A one-of-a-kind event! The World Renewable Energy Forum:  *WREF2012
<http://wref2012.org>*  For the first time ever, the National Solar
Conference is joining forces with the World Renewable Energy Congress.
WREF2012 happens from May 13-17th at the state-of-the-art Colorado
Convention Center in beautiful downtown Denver.

This conference will provide a unique opportunity to meet renewable
energy experts and enthusiasts from all over the world.  With an
unprecedented number of papers submitted from 66 nations, WREF2012
promises to attract a record attendance for a conference of its kind. We
have planned over 200 sessions covering such topics as building energy
efficiency, financing, policy, climate change, electric vehicles, clean
energy jobs, gender issues and of course, the latest information on the
full range of renewable energy technologies.

With Colorado's majestic Rocky Mountains as a backdrop and Denver’s
pedestrian-friendly cityscape at your doorstep, you’ll experience a
conference as enjoyable as it is educational.  I want to thank you for
joining us in the past and I look forward to seeing you this spring at
what will surely be a truly memorable conference.

*_Program Highlights_*

WREF2012 will be 4+ days of entertaining and educational presentations,
panel discussions, forum sessions, plus luncheons, awards and dinners.
And how will this be different from last year?

•     With 9 tracks <http://ases.org/conference/program>, WREF2012
offers plenary and breakout sessions expanding the Annual, Passive and
Policy conferences with topics including Energy Access, Climate Change,
Energy and Gender – and more.

•     And in response to all of the quality papers we received this
year, you’ll also experience a new format of presentation--IgniteWREF.
This format has global recognition and we are excited to offer it this
year.

The full conference program is available on line – Check It Out Here
<http://ases.org/conference/program/wref-detail/> or Register Now!
<https://netforum.avectra.com/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?Site=ASES&WebCode=EventReg&evt_key=ea2447b7-bd42-49d7-aa4e-903a30fc65c9>

To receive the best discounts, take advantage of our early bird
registration. There are several Registration Options
<http://ases.org/conference/wref2012-pricing/> as well as discounted
lodging near the Colorado Convention Center in Denver.
When calling hotels to make reservations for your lodging, please
mention *WREF 2012*  for the best deals.

The 2012 conference is presented by the World Renewable Energy Network
(WREN) <http://www.wrenuk.co.uk/>and the American Solar Energy Society
Department of Energy's National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
<http://www.nrel.gov/>, the Colorado Renewable Energy Society (CRES)
<http://cres-energy.org/> and the International Solar Energy Society
(ISES) <https://ises.org/ises.nsf>. Conference details are at
WREF2012.org <http://wref2012.org>