News from New Mexico Solar Energy Association nmsea-news at nmsea.org
Thu Jun 24 15:12:40 MDT 2010

*Hi Solar Enthusiasts!**
Here are the Latest News, Events, and Announcements from NMSEA! *

*For a Complete Listing of Events, Please See Our NMSEA Event Calendar
<http://www.nmsea.org/Events/Event_Calendar.php>
Or Contact Us with Questions or Comments! We Value Your Input!

***_EVENTS_*

********** **JUNE 26-27: Taos Solar Music Festival & **Solar Village **-
TAOS*
**** JUNE 26: National Town Meeting (Budget and Economy Focus) - ABQ*****
**** JUNE 29: ASES Technical Division Webinar - ONLINE
*** **JUNE 30: Green Drinks on the Train - SANTA FE*

*_ANNOUNCEMENTS
_*

** Solar Fiesta 2010 - Call for Speakers****
*** **CID Seeks Input on Proposed Codes*
**** Silver City/Grant County Office of Sustainability Now Open for Business

*_EVENTS
_*
*
* JUNE 26: National Town Meeting (Budget and Economy Focus) - Albuquerque
*
Albuquerque Convention Center
9:30am-4pm

Join thousands of concerned citizens with AmericaSpeaks for an
unprecedented national conversation on our budget and economy in cities
across the country, including Albuquerque. Together, we'll find common
ground on the tough choices our nation will have to make in the years
ahead in order to ensure that growing debt payments don't crowd out our
national priorities.

You are invited to join a meeting taking place near you and add your own
perspective to the discussion.Your participation is essential to the
success of this effort. Register today at USABudgetDiscussion.org
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=vdPayjxRvWDak5DQ%2FKEpck0AoC8W2bhs>!
Participation is free, but seating is limited.

When you participate on June 26, you will be linked to thousands of
other Americans around the country via satellite video and interactive
technologies. Together we will learn about the basic budget challenges
we're facing, and then we'll identify shared priorities and discuss
options we have to reduce the national debt. The results of all the
meetings across the US will be compiled into a report that will be
submitted to the White House and Congress later this summer.

Visit USABudgetDiscussion.org
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=2VE1hX16jVZzGs9y8cjnuJwxo15Rvz3s>
to learn more about the project and www.AmericaSpeaks.org
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=6yhmqyqwJzCXPa9MzKv33Jwxo15Rvz3s>
to learn more about AmericaSpeaks.
_______________________________________

** **JUNE 26-27: Solar Village & Taos Solar Music Festival - Taos
*
New Mexico Solar Energy Association will be at the Taos Solar Music
Festival - this weekend! Check out the Solar Village within the Taos
Solar Music Fest venue at Kit Carson Park in downtown Taos!

Fun activities and educational information including a huge Sun Oven big
enough to feed a Village, solar remote control cars, a fuel cell
demonstration and of course the Sunchaser mobile classroom.

Visit: http://www.solarmusicfest.com/event_information.php **for more
info. Hope to see you there!

** JUNE 29: ASES Technical Division Webinar - Online*

Part of an ASES Webinar Series: the Solar Electric Division
4pm MST

*System Requirements:
*-PC-based attendees
Required: Windows® 7, Vista, XP, 2003 Server or 2000
** <https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/186662112>
-Macintosh®-based attendees
Required: Mac OS® X 10.4.11 (Tiger®) or newer

After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the Webinar.

*Space is limited.*
Reserve your Webinar seat now at:
https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/186662112
*
S**end your questions now at: ChaptersQ&A at ases.org *and the panel will
cover them in their presentations.
In addition, you will be able to ask additional questions during the
webinar.

The Solar Electric Division includes direct energy conversion of the
sun's rays to electricity including photovoltaic (PV) energy technology,
concentrating photovoltaic (CPV), and photovoltaic thermal technology
(PV/T) that captures heat off the back side of PV cooling them thus
making more electricity.

The Solar Electric Division of ASES is made up of a group of energy
professionals that delve into all thing photovoltaic (PV) including the
various PV technologies, various flat plate PV systems, concentrating
PV, and PV and thermal (PV/T) technologies that use both the electricity
and heat collected by the solar panel.

A star-studded panel is assembled to answer questions from ASES members
and they are:
    - Marlene Brown will present hands-on solar expertise with a special
focus on Women in Solar
    - Joseph McCabe will cover combining energy efficiency and PV
(EE/PV) including building integrated PV (BIPV)
    - Jeff Lyng will give insight into distributed generation from solar
electricity.

Marlene is at Sandia National Labs, is a leader in the New Mexico Solar
Energy Association as well as Women In Solar Energy, and is an ASES Fellow.

Jeff is currently working with the Colorado Governors Energy office. His
previous experience includes success with the Solar Decathlon University
of Colorado projects, and he is Chair Elect of the Board of Directors of
the American Solar Energy Society.

Joseph is a twenty-year veteran of the solar industry, Chairperson of
the Solar Electric Division, and is an ASES Fellow.

** **JUNE 30: Green Drinks on the Train - Santa Fe
*

Santa Fe Southern Depot, 410 South Guadalupe
6:40-8:40pm (Must arrive by 6:10pm)

We'll travel out to the Galisteo Basin and back for a warm summer ride.
Last year we sold out at 200 people maximum capacity, so get on board
with your reservation to ensure your seat on this green, hip networking
event that is an authentic, irreplaceable link to our city's colorful past.

Carol Raymond, Santa Fe Southern Railway (SFSR) President and General
Manager, will be our guest speaker.

Carol will share with us the history and current challenges of keeping
the train on the rails and her green solution for developing rail
freight in Santa Fe and serving the larger Northern New Mexico region.

Rail freight will benefit smaller shippers, especially those shipping
commodities of our new energy economy: solar panels and turbines as well
as solid waste and recycling to markets for energy and re-fabrication.
Rail freight will improve air quality and reduce petroleum usage because
SFSR uses biodiesel.  She believes it is critical to create a
warehouse/trans-load facility--a rail freight port--within the I-25
loop, and she'll show us where she envisions that en route from the train.

Bring cash to purchase local Santa Fe Brewing Company Complimentary
goodies by restaurants along the tracks will be available.
Please support them by taking advantage of their special Green Drinks
coupons and visit them when you get off the tracks: Back Road Pizza La
Choza Flying Star Cafe and Zia Diner

*_ANNOUNCEMENTS
_*

** ** Solar Fiesta 2010 Call for Speakers*

This year's workshop series reflects the Fiesta's "Watt a Bright Idea!"
theme of encouraging and educating Solar Fiesta attendees to go "green."
The success of the workshops depends on NMSEA members and community.

As a solar professional or enthusiast, you may have a unique perspective
on renewable energy, energy efficiency and/or sustainability. Would you
consider sharing your expertise by participating in the 2010 Solar
Fiesta Workshop Series, September _11-12_ ?  Last year the response was
phenomenal, demonstrating your dedication to community education.  If
you are interested in speaking this year, here's what you need to know:

1. Presentations: There are two types of presentations:
    - Workshops (1-hour presentation to the general public; beginning,
intermediate and general interest topics)
    - Technical Sessions (20-minute presentations to industry peers and
technically-minded folk; Sunday only)
2. For more information and to register your talk, click here: Call for
Speakers Solar Fiesta 2010
<https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/nmsolarfiesta.org/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dHo0eUxTM1Q3NW5rckI5RllFQmlxWlE6MA>.
Or visit the NMSEA homepage or Fiesta page & follow the link.
3. The deadline for application is /*Monday, July 19, 2010*/.

Thank you for your participation and Have a Sunny Day!

Athena Christodoulou
NM Solar Fiesta 2010 Workshop Coordinator
505-507-1955

** **CID Seeks Input on Proposed Codes**
*

*(via the publication, New Mexico Business Weekly)*

Comments from commercial and residential building trades professionals
are being sought by the New Mexico Regulation and Licensing Department's
Construction Industries Division on behalf of the proposed adoption of
and amendments to the state's 2009 building codes.

Among the codes affected are the International Energy Conservation Code,
Existing Building Code, Residential Code, Building Code; Earthen
Building Materials, the Uniform Plumbing and Mechanical Code, and the
2008 National Electrical Code.

"Code bodies revise the published codes approximately every three
years," said Lisa Martinez, CID director, in a prepared statement. "The
Technical Advisory Committee has been working since June 2009 reviewing
life-safety matters for potential cost impacts to the industry as well
as ease of implementation. In addition, the Division is proposing
amendments to all the codes, particularly the International Energy Code,
to address the energy conservation needs specific to the New Mexico
building climate."

Those wishing to comment can fax them to the CID at (505) 476-4619, or
deliver them to any CID office or to the Hearing Officer at the
hearings. Comments must be turned in by July 1.

Public hearings are scheduled as follows:

. *June 28*, 10 a.m. -- 1 p.m., McGee Park Convention Center, #41 Road
5568, Bloomfield Hwy., *Farmington*

. *June 29*, 9 a.m. -- Noon, City Council Chambers, 421 N. Richardson,
*Roswell*

. *June 30*, 10 a.m. -- 1 p.m., CID Conference Rm., 505 S. Main St.,
*Las Cruces*

. *July 1*, 9 a.m. -- Noon, CID Conference Rm., 2550 Cerrillos Road,
Third Floor, *Santa Fe*

. *July 1*, 2 p.m. -- 5 p.m., CID Conference Rm., 5200 Oakland Ave. NE,
*Albuquerque*

** Silver City/Grant County Office of Sustainability Now Open for
Business *

**With the appointment of its new director, Nick Sussillo, the joint
Silver City/Grant County Office of Sustainability officially opened its
doors in late April.  The new office will address the energy efficiency
and conservation needs of town and county facilities, as well as provide
residential energy efficiency upgrades free of charge to low income
homeowners through its Neighborhood Blitz Program.  The office will also
coordinate public education activities around energy efficiency and
renewable energy in order to increase community awareness of fast and
cost-efficient ways to increase home energy efficiency, including
state/federal tax
incentives, green building and other rebates, and connection to low
income weatherization services and the Silver City Home Rehabilitation
Program.

"I believe that we're going to create something exciting here in Silver
City/Grant County. Please join us as we move forward to make our
community more energy efficient," stated Sussillo.  "We're thrilled that
we have finally filled the Sustainability Director position and we are
moving ahead with implementing our Climate Action Plan," replied Mary
Stoecker, facilitator of the Silver City Climate Advisory Committee, the
citizens' group that spearheaded the initiative to establish the office.

The office is funded with a $341,000 Energy Efficiency Conservation
Block Grant (EECBG) from the New Mexico Energy Minerals and Natural
Resources Department. Grant County also contributed $126,000 in
Department of Energy EECBG funding to the office.  Other activities to
be undertaken by the new program include implementation of a renewable
energy project, assist with green jobs opportunities, and help to
implement a solar energy financing district
in the county.

The Office of Sustainability will reside organizationally within Silver
City's Community Development Department, but will be physically located
in the new Grant County Convention Center. To view an interview with
Nick on The Morning Show,
visit http://www.themorningshowlive.com/TV2010.html
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103188269048&s=10&e=001zyV7cAn2xgui-cIYCXgiw0dgbni2vM-sTTdHGA4dXUgYW6oWK3L-LcGyVe8C9zIEUtj0ggf4Hpo-WDGvLMWKZ7b9eWOmrul4X_YOYvMhzS5LyAAP1AXdjeMb3XME-yAmFv2im7-QgPA=>and
click on the May 14 show. For more information, contact Nick Sussillo
at nick.sussillo at gmail.com <mailto:nick.sussillo at gmail.com> .
* *

*NEW MEXICO** SOLAR ENERGY ASSOCIATION*

*1009 Bradbury Dr. SE, # 35**, Albuquerque, NM 87106**
<http://www.nmsea.org/>*