[NMSEA-news] NMSEA - News and Events ** Solar Fiesta**

News from New Mexico Solar Energy Association nmsea-news at nmsea.org
Mon Sep 15 15:42:56 MDT 2008

Hi Solar Enthusiasts!

The Solar Fiesta is this weekend!

See the NMSEA Event Calendar for a complete list of Fiesta Workshops and
other events: http://www.nmsea.org/Events/Event_Calendar.php.
If you have questions or comments, please contact us!   We value your input!

*ANNOUNCEMENTS*

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR SOLAR FIESTA SET-UP, SEPT. 18

With Solar Fiesta fast approaching (see It's Easy Being Green! below),
we are looking for volunteers to help this Thursday evening September
18.  We need to move parking bumpers in the outdoor exhibit area.  Heavy
lifting will be involved, though we are renting a pallet jack to help do
the bulk of that work. We'll meet in the northwest parking lot
of Highland High School, Southwest of Central and San Mateo at 5:30pm.
If you're able to help, please e-mail Dave Patterson at
dnpatt at hubwest.com <mailto:dnpatt at hubwest.com>.

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR FIESTA DAYS - SEPT. 20 & 21:

Volunteers are still needed to help with various tasks this Saturday and
Sunday at Highland High School. Please come to the training and
set-up/prep session any time after 3:30 PM on Friday the 19^th . A
volunteer dinner will be provided free of charge. Reply to this mail or
contact the NMSEA office at 505-246-0400 if you can help with
preparations or activities onsite. Do your share to support this fun
educational event!!

FIESTA NEWS!

We're counting down the days to the Solar Fiesta! You may have seen the
story in this Saturday's Albuquerque Journal Home section. There are
several broadcast interviews coming up this week that you may wish to
tune in to see, or encourage others to watch:

Monday, September 15 at 11:00 a.m., Good Day New Mexico on KOB-TV
(Channel 4) has a five-minute interview with Solar Fiesta Manager  Mary
McArthur. You can also view the interview later online at
www.GoodDayNM.com <http://www.GoodDayNM.com>.

Tuesday, September 16 at 6:45 a.m., Janet Bridgers with NMSEA will
be interviewed live on KRQE-TV's (Channel 13) morning news program.

KNAT-TV, Channel 23, taped a 30-minute interview with Mary McArthur and
Ryan Helton, Program Manager for the state's solar energy tax credits.
This will be a "Joy in our Community" program that will air several
times this week. You can see it on the following dates and times:
Tuesday, Sept 16th at 1:30am
Thursday, Sept 18th at 1:30am
Friday, Sept 19th at 11:00am
Saturday, Sept 20th at 1:30am

Hope we'll see you there at the Solar Fiesta! Please let others
know about it too. Feel free to forward this note and send folks to our
website at www.nmsea.org <http://www.nmsea.org>.

FOR SALE! SOLAR, SUSTAINABLE HOMES

The NMSEA Office now has a list of real estate agents who have
advertised with us who have homes or other property for sale with
special solar and/or efficiency features. We cannot provide detailed
information, since that depends on current availability, but we can
offer agent phone numbers and e-mail addresses.
Call or write the office if you are looking for a solar/sustainable
property.

***********************************************************************__

*EVENT CALENDAR*

SEPTEMBER 19 (FRIDAY): NEW MEXICO TEC EXPO LUNCHEON
Albuquerque Grand Hotel, Airport, 11:30 AM -- 1:30 PM

DATE CORRECTION: This date was given incorrectly in some NMSEA calendars
as Sept. 18.

Join us for an exciting story! Tom Chavez, CEO of Rapt Inc. will speak
on "Technology Entrepreneurship: Making It Through the Obstacle
Course". Tom realized every entrepreneur's dream when his company, Rapt,
Inc, was recently acquired by Microsoft -- talk about success!  But the
real story is how he got there, from a self-described lower-middle-class
family in Albuquerque, to Harvard graduate (all 5 siblings) to
successful tech entrepreneur. Rapt, Inc., the leading provider of
advertising yield management solutions to be offered as a key component
of their Atlas Publisher Suite. What makes it even more compelling is
that Tom is an Albuquerque native.

Also representatives from our technology associations will give an
overview of the latest greatest tech developments in the State -
including New Mexico Bio, New Mexico IT & Software Association, New
Mexico Optics Industry Association, New Mexico Solar Energy Association,
and the Nano Network of New Mexico.  These groups represent the industry
clusters that are a significant part of New Mexico's economic success.

Register online at Acteva: _http://www.acteva.com/booking.cfm?bevaid=164396_

$25 for members of one of the professional societies or TEC.  $40 for
non-members.

More information on techventures.org -- click on events.

SEPTEMBER 20 & 21: NMSEA SOLAR FIESTA, ALBUQUERQUE

It's Easy Being Green!

 Learn how - at New Mexico's premier renewable energy and sustainability
fair.  Exhibits and workshops. Activities for children. Technical
sessions. Raffle for an energy audit. Admission: $5 adults, $4 Seniors,
$3 kids & students with ID. Free admission with NMSEA member ID, PNM
employees ID, and all children under 12. Exhibits - $5. Workshops - $10
each, or buy a discount day or weekend pass. Highland High School, two
blocks southwest of San Mateo and Central. Full information will be
provided in the NMSEA SunPaper Fiesta Guide, which is now on its way to
you via the US Mail. You can also call NMSEA for more information at
505-246-0400 or see www.nmsea.org <http://www.nmsea.org>.

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 23: ALBUQUERQUE CHAPTER MEETING, REI

NMSEA presents a talk "Implementing Natural Step in the Workplace." BJ
Harris will give an overview of industrial green design implementations
created for some of her clients, including the IKEA box store. 6:30 PM,
REI Recreational Equipment store, I-25 and Montano, 1500 Mercantile NE,
phone: 246-0400.

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 4: TAOS CHAPTER SOLAR BUILDINGS TOUR

Solar homes, educational campuses, and commercial sites in the Taos
area, featuring many types of sustainable design and construction
techniques, will be open for visitors on this self-guided tour.
Volunteers, including owners and builders, will be on site to answer
questions. Tour Fee: $10 per person (tour program guide serves as entry
ticket)- Students half price and NMSEA members free. Also half price if
using a zero emission vehicle or bicycle for the tour!

How to take this Tour: Tickets may be purchased from 8:30 am until noon,
Saturday October 4th, at the Taos Economic Development Center (TCEDC -
on Bertha Street) in Taos. Included in the price of the tour will be
four talks on a variety of topics- water harvesting, electric vehicles,
thermal heating and energy savings building techniques- all between 8:30
and 10:00 am. Local green businesses will have booths and displays as
well. Rain or shine! For more information call 575-758-5338.

This tour is part of the American Solar Energy Society's 13th annual
National Solar Tour. See other tours around the country and New Mexico
at www.nationalsolartour.org <http://www.nationalsolartour.org>

NEW MEXICO SOLAR ENERGY ASSOCIATION

info at nmsea.org <mailto:info at nmsea.org> www.nmsea.org <http://www.nmsea.org/>