[NMSEA-news] NMSEA - Events and Announcements

News from New Mexico Solar Energy Association nmsea-news at nmsea.org
Tue Sep 9 15:47:49 MDT 2008

Hi Solar Enthusiasts!

Here are the latest events, workshops, and announcements.

See the NMSEA Event Calendar for a more complete list of events:
http://www.nmsea.org/Events/Event_Calendar.php.
If you have questions or comments, please contact us!   We value your input!

*EVENT CALENDAR*

TOMORROW! WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 10: T. BOONE PICKENS IN ALBUQUERQUE

You have probably heard of T. Boone Pickens. If not, you will soon. He
has spent his career in oil and is now promoting wind energy in a big
way. There will be a Town Hall meeting on September 10th at the
Albuquerque Convention Center at 10:30 am. Doors open at 9:30. It is
free, but there is limited seating, so get there early. Below are some
websites about his energy plan. R.S.V.P. reply to aliesharuiz at yahoo.com
<mailto:aliesharuiz at yahoo.com>.

http://www.pickensplan.com/?c=Google&a=Pickens-Keywords&k=[t.+boone+pickens
<http://www.pickensplan.com/?c=Google&a=Pickens-Keywords&k=%5Bt.+boone+pickens>

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2008-07-08-t-boone-pickens-plan-wind-energy_n.htm

SEPTEMBER 13: NMSEA BOARD MEETING, ALBUQUERQUE

*/Do You Want to Know What's Going On at NMSEA? /*The next
not-to-be-missed NMSEA Board meeting is on Saturday September 13 from
noon-4 pm. We will start on time. It will be preceded by our famous
potluck at 11:30 am. For those of you that have attended in the past, we
will be rolling out a new agenda. You'll have to come see it to believe
it. It is also our last board meeting before the Solar Fiesta. As usual,
the meeting will be at the NMSEA office. Address is 1009 Bradbury SE,
across the street from Isotopes park and behind the Lockheed Martin
Building. It is in the UNM Business Incubator. Doorbell next to the
door. All members are welcome. We always have a full agenda. If you have
any agenda items, please send to info at nmsea.org. I hope to see all of
you there.

-Marlene Brown-

La Presidenta

New Mexico Solar Energy Association

SEPTEMBER 19 (FRIDAY): NEW MEXICO TEC EXPO LUNCHEON
Albuquerque Grand Hotel, Airport, 11:30 AM -- 1:30 PM

DATE CORRECTION: This date was given incorrectly in some NMSEA calendars
as Sept. 18.

Join us for an exciting story! Tom Chavez, CEO of Rapt Inc. will speak
on "Technology Entrepreneurship: Making It Through the Obstacle
Course". Tom realized every entrepreneur's dream when his company, Rapt,
Inc, was recently acquired by Microsoft -- talk about success!  But the
real story is how he got there, from a self-described lower-middle-class
family in Albuquerque, to Harvard graduate (all 5 siblings) to
successful tech entrepreneur. Rapt, Inc., the leading provider of
advertising yield management solutions to be offered as a key component
of their Atlas Publisher Suite. What makes it even more compelling is
that Tom is an Albuquerque native.

Also representatives from our technology associations will give an
overview of the latest greatest tech developments in the State -
including New Mexico Bio, New Mexico IT & Software Association, New
Mexico Optics Industry Association, New Mexico Solar Energy Association,
and the Nano Network of New Mexico.  These groups represent the industry
clusters that are a significant part of New Mexico's economic success.

Register online at Acteva: _http://www.acteva.com/booking.cfm?bevaid=164396_

$25 for members of one of the professional societies or TEC.  $40 for
non-members.

More information on techventures.org -- click on events.

SEPTEMBER 20 & 21: NMSEA SOLAR FIESTA, ALBUQUERQUE

It's Easy Being Green!

 Learn how - at New Mexico's premier renewable energy and sustainability
fair.  Exhibits and workshops. Activities for children. Technical
sessions. Raffle for an energy audit. Admission: $5 adults, $4 Seniors,
$3 kids & students with ID. Free admission with NMSEA member ID, PNM
employees ID, and all children under 12. Exhibits - $5. Workshops - $10
each, or buy a discount day or weekend pass. Highland High School, two
blocks southwest of San Mateo and Central. Full information will be
provided in the NMSEA SunPaper Fiesta Guide, which is now on its way to
you via the US Mail. You can also call NMSEA for more information at
505-246-0400 or see www.nmsea.org <http://www.nmsea.org>.

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 23: ALBUQUERQUE CHAPTER MEETING, REI

NMSEA presents a talk "Implementing Natural Step in the Workplace." BJ
Harris will give an overview of industrial green design implementations
created for some of her clients, including the IKEA box store. Also,
more details on the upcoming Solar Fiesta will be presented. 6:30 PM,
REI Recreational Equipment store, I-25 and Montano, 1500 Mercantile NE,
phone: 246-0400.

*ANNOUNCEMENTS*

VOLUNTEERS FOR THE NMSEA SOLAR FIESTA, SEPT. 20 & 21

Volunteers are still needed for the annual Solar Fiesta at Highland High
School. Reply to this mail or contact the NMSEA office (505-246-0400) if
you can help with preparations - or activities on Saturday or Sunday
onsite. Do your share to support this fun educational event!!

FOR SALE!
SOLAR, SUSTAINABLE HOMES

The NMSEA Office now has a list of real estate agents who have
advertised with us who have homes or other property for sale with
special solar and/or efficiency features. We cannot provide detailed
information, since that depends on current availability, but we can
offer agent phone numbers and e-mail addresses.
Call or write the office if you are looking for a solar/sustainable
property.

*VOLUNTEERS NEEDED NOW!
for State Fair Green Expo Exhibit (We Need YOU!)*

 Sandia National Laboratories (SNL) and the New Mexico Solar Energy
Association (NMSEA www.nmsea.org <http://www.nmsea.org>) have been
invited by the New Mexico Environment Department (NMED) to present solar
home information at a booth in the Green Expo Exhibit at the 2008 EXPO
New Mexico - formerly the State Fair - to be held September 5-21.  The
solar booth will be shared by both organizations and is based in part
upon a booth that solar home owners recently presented at the Earth,
Wind, and Sun (EWS) event at SNL.  For that event, each owner assembled
a notebook with pictures, data, and observations based on living in
solar homes to share with the public and answered questions at the
booth. NMSEA will have literature and demonstration items while the
booth is staffed. At least 15 more volunteers are needed to make this
Green Expo effort successful, each volunteer manning the display a few
hours. Please help. Interested volunteers are asked to contact Carl
Axness at 505-844-0084 (claxnes at sandia.gov <mailto:claxnes at sandia.gov>).

NEW MEXICO SOLAR ENERGY ASSOCIATION

info at nmsea.org <mailto:info at nmsea.org> www.nmsea.org <http://www.nmsea.org/>