[NMSEA-news] NM Solar Energy Association News and Events

News from New Mexico Solar Energy Association nmsea-news at nmsea.org
Thu May 1 14:55:51 MDT 2008

Hi Solar Enthusiasts! Here are the latest events, workshops, and
announcements.

Please see the NMSEA Event Calendar for a more complete list of events
at http://www.nmsea.org/Events/Event_Calendar.php. If you have questions
or comments, please contact us!   We value your input!

NEW MEXICO SOLAR ENERGY ASSOCIATION

1009 Bradbury St SE, Ste. 35, Albuquerque, NM 87106

info at nmsea.org <mailto:info at nmsea.org> www.nmsea.org <http://www.nmsea.org/>

BECOME THE ALBUQUERQUE CHAPTER LEADER!

NMSEA has an immediate opening for the volunteer position of Albuquerque
chapter leader. This opportunity involves setting up and running chapter
presentation meetings once a month at a set time and location (currently
6:30pm on the 4th Tuesday each month at the REI Recreational Equipment
store).  You would be responsible for contacting prospective speakers,
coordinating with our media person for advertising, and setting up the
room at REI and packing up after the event.   If you are organized and
detail-oriented, have good people skills, and are interested in solar
energy and sustainability, we are looking for you.  This position may
require 5-10 hours a month (including the night of the meeting)
depending on your connections and skills.  We will provide an organizing
template, and speakers are already scheduled for May and June.  Please
contact Deena Klein at dleeclean at yahoo.com <mailto:dleeclean at yahoo.com>
and put "Chapter Leader" in the subject heading. This is a great chance
for you to support NMSEA and to get to know the industry and community!

*EVENT CALENDAR, SUMMARY (Scroll down for details.)*

Weekends in May, June, July, & August - Crestone Solar School, Crestone,
Colorado; Solar Heating Design and Natural Building Workshops.

May 3 -- 8: American Solar Energy Association's SOLAR 2008, San Diego, CA.

May 8: Los Alamos Chapter Meeting, LASE Network, 6:30 PM.

May 10 -- 18: Sustainability Week and The Green Built Tour, Santa Fe,
Taos, and Albuquerque area.

May 17-25: Ecovillage Design Education -- The Ecological Dimension; UNM
Continuing Ed.

May 24, Rebuild NM, Community Partnership Meeting, Albuquerque, 7:45 AM.

May 24, Q-Jam music for sustainability, Albuquerque Civic Plaza, 2:00 PM.

May 27: Albuquerque Chapter meeting at REI, 6:30 PM.

Also, check out the Sustainable ABQ website for other events in and
around Albuquerque.  Go to http://www.sustainableabq.com/news_events.htm

*ANNOUNCMENTS, SUMMARY (Scroll down for details.)*

**** EXTENDED DEADLINE: *The deadline for registrations in our _Solar
and Sustainability (professionals) Directory _has been extended to this
Monday, May 5. Find the info and form at our website and have your
business included in this printed and online community resource.

*** Solar Santa Fe -- Get on the waiting list for City loan program for
solar electric and conservation.

*** The New Mexico Clean Energy Update - News Programs on Local Public
Radio Stations.

*EVENT CALENDAR*

MAY, JUNE, JULY, AUGUST: CRESTONE SOLAR SCHOOL, COLORADO -SOLAR HEATING
DESIGN & NATURAL BUILDING

4-day Workshops, taught by Paul Shippee at Crestone Solar School in
Crestone, Colorado. See details at: http://www.crestonesolarschool.com
Choice of dates: May 15 -- 18, June 5 -- 8, July 10 -- 13, August 14 --
17. $650 fee also includes workshop materials, all meals, and outdoor
camping at the Crestone Solar School home site.

Learn innovative 21st century Solar and Natural Building technologies.
This 4-day workshop combines the study of solar design principles with
hands-on learning. Great for anyone serious about learning to design
solar homes and buildings with proven alternative technologies and
natural building techniques.  A good foundation from which to grow your
own knowledge and apply your own interests and skills.

MAY 3 -- 8: AMERICAN SOLAR ENERGY ASSOCIATION'S SOLAR 2008 - INVITATION

Dear Solar Supporter,
Have you seen the latest lineup of presenters for SOLAR 2008? More than
150 of the world's leading experts on solar energy, energy efficiency,
and other sustainable energy technologies will be in San Diego, May 3-8,
2008. I invite you to join them at SOLAR 2008
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001RJ7gAjnh2MRGXc3iJOTJuP1RtMiKgRoghSNZ7oHT8UvwArzFL2VbzTAN_6NMZawCYDRgX5BOngxjp_W8MC1FN5DktsWQSEJWBdWwUiR5iicd-KdVqOv8hjGzDvB5-04s>
(and be sure to register by March 16 to get the best rates).
With the energy industry changing at an unprecedented pace, SOLAR 2008
helps you understand the changes and uncover the opportunities. It
examines the topics you need to know, including:

    * What's new with thin film photovoltaics
    * Best practices for solar installers
    * Renewable electricity 24/7
    * Improving PV performance
    * Emerging architecture and daylighting design
    * Designing high performance homes
    * Selling and marketing strategies that work
    * The new era of concentrating solar power
    * Emerging transportation and solar's new role
    * The new boom in green collar jobs
    * Launch and grow your solar business
    * Women in solar, changing an industry
    * How to install solar hot water systems
    * A hot way to cool climate change
    * New approaches in solar policy
    * Investing in renewable energy
    * PV payback and financial analysis
    * And dozens of other powerful topics...

These sessions are taught by some of the world's leading experts - to
give you the edge.
This industry-leading conference series, now in its 37th year, offers
you the emerging trends, technological breakthroughs, industry insight,
and connections you need to stay ahead. Attend SOLAR 2008 and discover
where the industry is headed.
Click here to register for SOLAR 2008
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001RJ7gAjnh2MRGXc3iJOTJuP1RtMiKgRoghSNZ7oHT8UvwArzFL2VbzTAN_6NMZawCYDRgX5BOngxjp_W8MC1FN5DktsWQSEJWBdWwUiR5iicd-KdVqOv8hjGzDvB5-04s>.
Sincerely,
Becky Campbell-Howe, Conference Director, SOLAR 2008

PS. Don't forget to register by March 16 to get the best rates to attend
SOLAR 2008. See the full lineup of presenters and topics at
www.solar2008.org
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001RJ7gAjnh2MR3Lg3NR-4WH5AJb9bJoZ2Shdq-OQ65y2OBVBOWNEPvXMI9O_vu-C7L39DJUPh7c9RZjqhipAK89FZlQF4-gRAUcTDAjIdm2CSwJJBUaN_Izw==>.
I look forward to seeing you in San Diego this May.

MAY 8:* * LOS ALAMOS SUSTAINABLE ENERGY NETWORK MONTHLY MEETING

This meeting of the LASE Network, the NMSEA chapter in Los Alamos, will
feature a Chautauqua Performance by Petr Jandác(ek on "A History of
Architecture"* *as told by R. Buckminster Fuller. Socializing begins at
6:30 PM, and the program is from 7 - 8 PM. The meeting location will be
the Pajarito Environmental Education Center in  the old High School 'L'
Building at 3540 Orange Street. R. Buckminster 'Bucky' Fuller was an
American architect, author, designer, futurist, inventor, poet and
visionary. Throughout his life, Fuller was concerned with the question
'Does humanity have a chance to survive lastingly and successfully on
planet Earth, and if so, how?' Fuller wrote more than thirty books,
coining terms such as 'Spaceship Earth', ephemeralization, and
synergetics. He also worked on the development of numerous inventions,
chiefly in the fields of design and architecture, the best known of
which is the geodesic dome. Carbon molecules known as fullerenes or
buckyballs were named for their resemblance to a geodesic sphere.

 From early youth, Petr Jandác(ek was fascinated with the architecture,
inventions and philosophy of Fuller, who was a professor emeritus at
Southern Illinois University when Petr was in a PhD program there. After
moving back to Los Alamos, he and his wife and children built geodesic
domes there. During this time, he conducted extensive correspondence
with Fuller. Petr Jandác(ek has taught art in Los Alamos schools for
more than 30 years. For more information, contact
David Griggs, (505) 661-4572 in Los Alamos.  (Directions to this event:
from Trinity, go on Diamond past the high school, and turn right on
Orange St. Go about 2 1/2  blocks...PEEC will be on the left.)

MAY 10 - 18: SUSTAINABILITY WEEK AND THE NM GREENBUILT TOUR 2008

The U.S. Green Building Council New Mexico Chapter (USGBCNM) will hold
its ninth annual GreenBuilt Tour in New Mexico on May 17 and 18, 2008.
The Green Built Tour is part of a week long event called Sustainability
Week. The GreenBuilt Tour is an excellent opportunity for the public to
learn about the features of a green home and how sustainable homes are
built, and find inspiration to green your home. Homes for the tour have
been selected by a committee as fulfilling certain green building
standards. During the week, there will be tours of green commercial
buildings and workshops for building professionals. In Albuquerque on
Saturday, May 10, a series of lectures and workshops will be held along
with a vendor's show for people to learn more about green building and
see products and materials that are environmentally friendly. For
information on all the events go to http://www.greenbuilttour.net/

        MAY 17-25: ECOVILLAGE DESIGN EDUCATION -- UNM CONTINUING ED

Ecology is the study of the dynamic, interdependent relationships in the
Web of Life. An Eco-village, then, is a human settlement that is
integrated into this Web of Life in a way that benefits both humans and
their supporting environment. The following Modules are intended to
instill an "ecological literacy" --- a functional knowledge-base
influencing not only our thinking and critical design judgment, but also
our way of experiencing Life as a celebration of organic, evolutionary
fullness and plenitude:

   1. Green Building and Retrofitting
   2. Local Food
   3. Appropriate Technology
   4. Restoring Nature
   5. Integrated Ecovillage Design

For more information: www.ecovillagedesignsouthwest.org
<http://www.ecovillagedesignsouthwest.org>, Robert Griffin:
505-366-4700, robert at globalfamily.net <mailto:robert at globalfamily.net>

MAY 24: REBUILD NEW MEXICO, COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIP MEETING, ALBUQUERQUE

The next community partnership meeting will be held on Tuesday morning,
May 6, at 8 am at the Los Griegos Community Center located at 1231
Candelaria Rd., NW in Albuquerque (west of 12th Street and Candelaria).
Rebuild New Mexico is a not-for-profit organization concerned with
improving energy efficiency in residential and commercial buildings. Tim
Cynova, P.E. and Senior Engineer for the Water Utilities Division for
the City of Albuquerque will be speaking about the City of Albuquerque's
Water Sustainability Program. Please join us 15 minutes early for coffee
and networking at 7.45 am.  The event is free and open to the Public.
For more info on any event please check our website at
www.rebuildnewmexico.org <http://www.rebuildnewmexico.org>, call (505)
768-5346 or email info at rebuildnewmexico.org
<mailto:info at rebuildnewmexico.org>.

MAY 24: Q-JAM, ALBUQUERQUE CIVIC PLAZA

Music Festival & Environmental Sustainability Fair - music, fun and
activities for everyone in the family. Enjoy the entertainment and learn
about city services, incentives and local businesses to help you live
AlbuquerqueGreen, promoting sustainability. Featuring music by
Indigenous, Ruthie Foster and Keb'Mo'. Civic Plaza, 2:00PM to 7:15PM.
Environmentally friendly businesses and organizations are encouraged to
exhibit at the festival; applications on-line at www.albuquerquejam.org
<http://www.albuquerquejam.org>. Deadline is May 9^th for applications.

MAY 27: ALBUQUERQUE CHAPTER MEETING

The Albuquerque Chapter of NMSEA will meet on Tuesday, May 27, at 6:30 PM at the REI Recreational Equipment store (northwest of the intersection of I-25 and Montano). Thinking about doing something to save the earth, but not sure how far to go? Find your level of "green" comfort by learning about "green" products and building methods you may have never seen or heard of before. Cara Leigh, designer/owner and Jody Feyas, owner/builder of The Dream Home - Evolution in Design and Technology- will share insights about the home and cool new technology. Then, you decide what's right for you. There is no charge for our meetings, which are held every 4th Tuesday of the month at this time and location. We hope you will join us there! Contact information: 246-0400 or 888-886-6765, <http://www.nmsea.org> e-mail info at nmsea.org <mailto:info at nmsea.org>.

Give a presentation/talk: we are always looking for speakers at our monthly meetings, so if you would like to make a presentation, please contact us with your proposal. We are also looking for a new chapter leader, as mentioned above.

*ANNOUNCEMENTS*

*SOLAR SANTA FE -- CITY SUPPORTS SOLAR ELECTRIC, HEATING AND EFFICIENCY*

Rebecca Sobel, Wild Earth Guardians**

First of all, I wanted to thank you for your support of our Solar Santa
Fe program - a process which allows for the City of Santa Fe use monies
from municipal bonds to offer long term low interest loans to Santa Fe
residents to offset the costs of purchasing solar electric, solar
heating and efficiency measures. The program has passed through the City
Council with a preliminary 60 day study (completed May 26) and a
proposed $1 million dollar budget.
We at WildEarth are hoping to duplicate our efforts with this program in
Albuquerque, but first we would like the City of Santa Fe to be bold
models for this program. We're hoping to demonstrate widespread support
and interest for the program so as to justify an increase in the $1
million dollar budget. We'd like to provide opportunities for Santa Fe
residents to sign up on a waiting list for the program, demonstrating
the need for an increased budget in the future. We were thinking about
hosting or collaborating with other organizations for solar events in
which attendees could learn about the new program and sign up on a
waiting list. I would love to know if there are any such opportunities
with NMSEA in Santa Fe to achieve such objectives. Wouldn't it be great
to highlight all the wonderful technological capital already present in
the RE sector in Santa Fe, and then broadcast opportunities for citizen
involvement? We're still brainstorming such ideas, so any suggestions
you might have on how to build a large list of interested Santa Fe
parties would be very much appreciated.
Please contact me to get a letter of support and fact sheet for the
program.
Rebecca Sobel, 505.988.9126 x1152**

rsobel at wildearthguardians.org>**

*____________________________________________________*

*THE NEW MEXICO CLEAN ENERGY UPDATE - NEWS PROGRAMS ON LOCAL PUBLIC
RADIO STATIONS*

The New Mexico Clean Energy Update is a series of thirteen weekly radio
news reports,
five minutes in duration starting April 14, 2008. These will be
broadcast on public radio station KUNM FM 89.9 and over other public
radio stations throughout New Mexico. You'll also be able to listen
online at KUNM's web site
[http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=5smeulcab.0.f8z6zlcab.vdw6qlcab.0&ts=S0334&p=http%3A%2F%2Fkunm.org%2Fhome.php
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=5smeulcab.0.f8z6zlcab.vdw6qlcab.0&ts=S0334&p=http%3A%2F%2Fkunm.org%2Fhome.php>].
These news reports address a wide range of New Mexico clean energy
topics. We hope
you'll make a point to listen in!

The New Mexico Clean Energy Update is produced by Vision Trust, Inc.
through a grant
from the New Mexico Energy Conservation and Management Division. Learn
more about
New Mexico Clean Energy Programs at www.CleanEnergyNM.org
<http://www.CleanEnergyNM.org>

*****