[NMSEA-news] NMSEA Events and Announcements

News from New Mexico Solar Energy Association nmsea-news at nmsea.org
Wed Jul 16 16:00:59 MDT 2008

Hi Solar Enthusiasts! Here are the latest events, workshops, and
announcements.

Please see the NMSEA Event Calendar for a more complete list of events
at http://www.nmsea.org/Events/Event_Calendar.php. If you have questions
or comments, please contact us!   We value your input!

NEW MEXICO SOLAR ENERGY ASSOCIATION

info at nmsea.org <mailto:info at nmsea.org> www.nmsea.org <http://www.nmsea.org/>

*ANNOUNCEMENTS*

NEW ALBUQUERQUE CHAPTER LEADER!

Olga Lavrova has volunteered for the position of Albuquerque chapter
leader. She is a professor of electrical and computer engineering and
will be leading the monthly chapter meetings and other local events.
Thanks, Olga, for your support for NMSEA.

_________________________________
SOLAR AND SUSTAINABLE DIRECTORY TO BE PUBLISHED TO WEB FIRST
Data confirmations are coming in from companies that registered to be in
the Solar and Sustainable Directory.  Thank you for those who have sent
them in a timely manner.
If you have not returned your confirmation in some way, please do so
immediately.  Please contact us if you haven't received your
confirmation form. We will publish to the web very soon.
To list your solar and/or sustainable business in the printed version,
register by 7/31.  You must submit the two-page application.  The
necessary links are:
   http://www.nmsea.org/Directory/2008/SPD_Registration.pdf and
   http://www.nmsea.org/Directory/2008/SPD_Categories.pdf.
After 7/31, registrations for the web version will be accepted
continuously.  Allow several weeks for your addition to our directory to
happen.

SOLAR FIESTA DEADLINES FOR SUNPAPER ADVERTISING, TECHNICAL PAPERS,
EXHIBITORS

SOLAR FIESTA EXHIBIT REGISTRATION

MIDNIGHT TONIGHT is the deadline for 10% off Solar Fiesta registration.

AUGUST 1: Registrations at full price will be accepted until August 1.

Details can be found at:
       http://www.nmsea.org/Solar_Fiesta/Solar_Fiesta_2008/index.php
Invitation:
http://www.nmsea.org/Solar_Fiesta/Solar_Fiesta_2008/Solar_Fiesta_Invitation.php

Site Map:
http://www.nmsea.org/Solar_Fiesta/Solar_Fiesta_2008/Solar_Fiesta_Site_Draft.pdf

Price List:
http://www.nmsea.org/Solar_Fiesta/Solar_Fiesta_2008/Solar_Fiesta_Pricing.pdf

Registration Form:
http://www.nmsea.org/Solar_Fiesta/Solar_Fiesta_2008/Solar_Fiesta_Registration.pdf

To receive the discount, e-mail to marymac at hubwest.com
<mailto:marymac at hubwest.com> or info at nmsea.org <mailto:info at nmsea.org>
or fax to 505-246-2251 your Registration Form or intent to exhibit by
midnight tonight.

AUGUST 1: DEADLINE FOR PAPERS FOR TECHNICAL SESSIONS AT THE SOLAR FIESTA
Ben Cho is this year's Technical Sessions Coordinator and he has issued
a Call for Papers.

http://www.nmsea.org/Solar_Fiesta/Solar_Fiesta_2008/Call_for_Papers_2008.pdf.

The Technical Sessions will be held during the Professional Track of
workshops on Sunday 9/21.  The sessions will consist of 15-20 minute
talks on a wide variety of technical issues related to solar and
renewable energy.  It presents an excellent opportunity to share your
experiences and findings with our organization, your peers and the
technical community at large.
Please submit your paper by email (info at nmsea.org
<mailto:info at nmsea.org>) or mail to NMSEA by August 1, 2008.  Papers
should be between one and five pages including graphics and will be
reviewed by a committee for selection to present at the Solar Fiesta.
For further information, contact Ben Cho, Technical Sessions Coordinator,
505-604-8539, techsessions at nmsea.org <mailto:techsessions at nmsea.org>.

AUGUST 1: DEADLINE FOR ADS, ARTICLES AND EXHIBITOR LISTING IN SOLAR
FIESTA GUIDE
Due to the longer length of the Solar Fiesta Guide from the typical
bi-monthly SunPaper and because we mail 1000+ Guides out to members and
interested folk before the Fiesta, the deadline for this SunPaper issue
is early. Please send ads and articles to the office info at nmsea.org
<mailto:info at nmsea.org> by 8/1.
Solar Fiesta Registration is linked in the first article above.
NOW: GREEN EXPO - STATE FAIR MARKETING OPPORTUNITY

New Mexico's Environmental Health Department (EHD) and Energy, Minerals
and Natural Resources Department (EMNRD) are collaborating on a Green
Expo at the State Fair, Sept 5-21.  They are looking for dynamic
exhibits showcasing the issues and tools of sustainability in the areas
of green building, energy, water, waste, recycling and local and organic
foods.  (Attendance throughout the Fair is not necessary.)  Marketing
materials attached.  Use this opportunity to educate the public as well
as promote your business.
If you have a display to offer and for more information, please contact
New Mexico Environment Department, 505-827-2855, jill.turner at state.nm.us
<mailto:jill.turner at state.nm.us>

*EVENT CALENDAR*

JULY 22: ALBUQUERQUE CHAPTER MEETING

The Albuquerque Chapter of NMSEA will meet on Tuesday, July 22, at 6:30
PM at the REI Recreational Equipment store (northwest of the
intersection of I-25 and Montano). Dr. Olga Lavrova, the new Albuquerque
Chapter Leader, will give a talk about her projects in the Engineering
Department at the University of New Mexico and at SIPI, the Southwest
Indian Polytechnic Institute, as well as other community projects
involving solar power.  There is no charge for our meetings, which are
held every 4th Tuesday of the month at this time and location. We hope
you will join us there! Contact the office for more information:
246-0400 or 888-886-6765, <http://www.nmsea.org> e-mail info at nmsea.org
<mailto:info at nmsea.org>.

Give a presentation/talk! We are always looking for speakers at our monthly meetings, so if you would like to make a presentation, please contact us with your proposal.

AUGUST 14-17: NMSEA SOLAR THERMAL WORKSHOP

Chuck Marken will present our first hands-on Solar Thermal Workshop on
August 14-17 (Thurs-Sun). The class will cover theory, design and
installation techniques necessary to install and maintain a solar
domestic hot water system are the main topics. Types of systems, system
components, safety considerations, code compliance, system sizing and
solar collector performance in a variety of climates and applications
will be addressed. The workshop will also address the NABCEP thermal
task analysis and include information extracted from the NABCEP thermal
candidate's handbook.
Non-Members - $500; Members - $450.
Breakfast is included, but students are responsible for their own lunch.
 Minimum of 14 students. Maximum of 28 students. Pre-registration and
pre-payment required.
For further information or registration, see:
http://www.nmsea.org/Workshops/thermal_workshop.php or contact our
office (info above).

AUGUST 14-17: CRESTONE SOLAR SCHOOL, COLORADO - SOLAR HEATING & NATURAL
BUILDING DESIGN

4-day Workshops, taught by Paul Shippee at Crestone Solar School in
Crestone, Colorado. See details at: http://www.crestonesolarschool.com
$650 fee also includes workshop materials, all meals, and outdoor
camping at the Crestone Solar School home site.

Learn innovative 21st century Solar and Natural Building technologies.
This 4-day workshop combines the study of solar design principles with
hands-on learning. Great for anyone serious about learning to design
solar homes and buildings with proven alternative technologies and
natural building techniques.  A good foundation from which to grow your
own knowledge and apply your own interests and skills.

AUGUST 30: NMSEA BIODIESEL WORKSHOP
James Burgess and Eric Chrisp will once again present their hands-on
Biodiesel Workshop on Saturday, August 30, 9:00am to 5pm, in
Albuquerque.  Biodiesel 101 covers sourcing oil, economic and ecologic
pros and cons, preferred vehicles, how to make your own biodiesel
processor for under $400, how to brew on a small or medium scale, how to
test oil quality, safety issues, washing fuel, politics, and much, much
more!
Non-Members - $110; Members - $99.
Lunch is included (please inform us about dietary restrictions). Minimum
of 6 students. Maximum of 15
students. Pre-registration and pre-payment required. For further
information or registration, see:
http://www.nmsea.org/Workshops/biodiesel_workshop.php or contact the
NMSEA office (info above).