[NMSEA-news] Chapter events, ASES award nomination date extended

News from New Mexico Solar Energy Association nmsea-news at nmsea.org
Thu Jan 3 13:16:27 MST 2008

Hi Solar Enthusiasts!

Here's some Chapter events and an ASES nomination opportunity extended.

Please see the NMSEA Event Calendar for a more complete list of events
at http://www.nmsea.org/Events/Event_Calendar.php

Also, check out the Sustainable ABQ website for other events in and
around Albuquerque.  Go to http://www.sustainableabq.com/news_events.htm

If you have questions or comments, please contact us!   We value your input!

NEW MEXICO SOLAR ENERGY ASSOCIATION
1009 Bradbury St SE, Ste. 35
Albuquerque, NM 87106
505-246-0400, 888-886-6765
Fax: 505-246-2251
info at nmsea.org
www.nmsea.org

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this NMSEA-news e-mail list, please visit:

January 10th:  Deadline for ASES award nominations extended to Jan 10th.

January 22nd: NMSEA Albuquerque Chapter meeting - speaker Marlene Brown

February and March: NMSEA Alamogordo Chapter-Community Education Program

JANUARY 10TH, 2008 DEADLINE
It is time again for nominations for the American Solar Energy Society
Awards. These are awards for people that have made a significant
contribution in many different ways for solar energy. I received the
John and Barbara Yellot award for my masters thesis work. I created the
Women in Solar award. I know that many of the awards do not get many
nominations. Please take time to think of people that are deserving of
these awards. There are specifics to each of the award but in general
they are for people that have furthered the field of solar energy and/or
have spent their careers promoting, teaching, volunteering or making
technical advances. There are some great people out there that deserve
these awards. Please nominate them.

-Marlene-

Do you know someone who deserves to be recognized for advancing the
field of solar energy?
Time to nominate that person for an award from
the American Solar Energy Society
Nominations are due by January 10, 2008

The American Solar Energy Society invites your nominations for the
Society's annual awards presented to people who have made outstanding
contributions to ASES or to the field of solar energy.
Find nomination forms and award requirements here.

Briefly, the awards are:
The Charles Greeley Abbot Award given to an individual who has made a
significant contribution to the field of solar energy or to ASES.
The Passive Solar Pioneer Award presented to a person or group whose
creative and original thinking and research have led to new developments
in the passive solar energy field.
The Rebecca Vories Award honoring a volunteer whose efforts have
significantly advanced the ability of ASES to accomplish its mission.
The John and Barbara Yellott Award recognizing an outstanding graduate
student working in the solar energy field (includes a cash scholarship.)
The Hoyt Clarke Hottel Award presented to an individual who has made a
significant contribution in any area of the solar energy field.
The Women in Solar Energy (WISE) Award recognizing a woman who has
contributed significantly to the acceptance and advancement of women in
the solar field.
Nomination forms can be found at the ASES web site:
www.ases.org/about/awards.htm or click here. You can also contact the
ASES office at, 2400 Central Avenue, Suite A, Boulder, Colorado 80301 or
(303) 443-3130 ext 106. Nominations should be submitted to ASES at the
address below and must be received by January 5, 2008.
This year's winners will be honored at the Awards Banquet at SOLAR 2008
in San Diego, California.
Sincerely,

Dona McClain
American Solar Energy Society
2400 Central Ave., Suite A
Boulder, CO  80301
303-443-3130 x106
f: 303-443-3212

JANUARY 22 – NMSEA ALBUQUERQUE CHAPTER MEETING – MARLENE BROWN

"Solar in the Developing World and Hands-On Workshops"

This talk will discuss Marlene's work teaching and installing hundreds
os systems in Vietnam.  She trained local technicians and worked with
local vendors to manufacture and modify parts and pieces for PV systems
in rural Vietnam.  She has continued to teach yearly and will talk about
several of her other workshops and hands-on classes, and some of the
lessons learned in the field.  She's still learning, by the way!

The meeting is held at 6:30pm at REI Northwest of I-25 and Montano
FEBRUARY AND MARCH

New Mexico Solar Energy Association. – Alamogordo Chapter is scheduled
to do 3 community education programs at NMSU-A this spring.

The Wednesday evening classes  are:

     Feb 6 &13            Basics of Alterative Energy
     Feb 27 & Mar 5    Passive Solar: Housewarming without mechanical
systems
     Mar 12 & 19         Active Solar Energy & Living off the Grid

More information at http://alamo.nmsu.edu/community/springcourses.cgi