[NMSEA-news] NMSEA News, Announcements, and Events

News from New Mexico Solar Energy Association nmsea-news at nmsea.org
Thu Dec 4 17:06:43 MST 2008

Hi Solar Enthusiasts!

Here are the latest events, workshops, and announcements.

See the NMSEA Event Calendar for a complete list of events:
http://www.nmsea.org/Events/Event_Calendar.php.
If you have questions or comments, please contact us!   We value your input!

DECEMBER 7: ANNUAL ASME, ASM, SAMPE MEETING, ALBUQUERQUE

DECEMBER 9: SANTA FE ALLIANCE HOLIDAY PARTY

DECEMBER 10-11: Brown to Green: Make the Connection to Renewable Energy,
Santa Fe

DECEMBER 11: "Polywell Fusion Device 101," LOS ALAMOS

DECEMBER 11: USGBC-NM GREEN TIE EVENT, ALBUQUERQUE

DECEMBER 13: NMSEA BOARD MEETING, ALBUQUERQUE

JANUARY 27: ALBUQUERQUE CHAPTER MEETING, REI. Note: There is no
Albuquerque Chapter meeting in December.

See below for details!

*ANNOUNCEMENTS*

The SUNPAPER DEADLINE is December 15 for new advertising and for any
articles or chapter news that you would like to submit for the
January/February issue. We give priority to articles on solar energy,
but anything about renewable energy systems and sustainability is
welcome. Our advertising rates per issue are as follows:

Full Page: $75                          Half Page: $50

Quarter Page: $25                    Biz Card: $15

NEW BOARD MEMBERS: The full slate of new or returning board members was
approved in balloting by the membership last month. The election added
Carl Axness and Randy Sadewic to the previous board consisting of
Jennifer Beyss, Janet Bridgers, Marlene Brown, Mars DeLapp, Deena Klein,
Barbara Menicucci, Monte Ogdahl, and Gary Vaughn. We are all very
grateful for the dedicated service of our Board of Directors. (See Dec.
13 meeting announcement below.)

MISSING SANDBAGS: The sandbags used at the Solar Fiesta were not
returned to our storage facility. If you know where they are, please
call the office, 246-0400.

VOTE FOR AN ENERGY VIDEO: "Solar Energy is H.O.T. !!!," is a video
submitted by Cliff Ho to Discover Magazine's contest "The Future of
Energy in 2 Minutes or Less." It has been selected as one of five
finalists! An official judge will determine the winner on Dec. 17, but
people can vote for their favorite video to win the Viewer's Choice
Award by Dec. 15. Go to this site:
 http://discovermagazine.com/contests/vote-for-the-future-of-energy-in-2-minutes-or-less/
Ho's video describes how solar energy can address the world's three
primary energy needs: Heating, On-site electricity production, and
Transportation. The other four other videos describe nuclear fusion,
conservation, nuclear fission, and wind energy. Cast your vote!

FOR SALE! SOLAR, SUSTAINABLE HOMES

The NMSEA Office now has a list of real estate agents who have
advertised with us who have homes or other property for sale with
special solar and/or efficiency features. We cannot provide detailed
information, since that depends on current availability, but we can
offer agent phone numbers and e-mail addresses.
Call or write the office if you are looking for a solar/sustainable
property.

***********************************************************************__

*EVENT CALENDAR*

DECEMBER 7: ANNUAL ASME, ASM, SAMPE MEETING, ALBUQUERQUE

SPEAKER: Dr. Jeffrey S. Nelson, Solar Technologies Department, Energy
and Infrastructure Futures Group, Sandia National Laboratories on the
"Widespread Adoption of Renewable Energy: Challenges and R&D Opportunities."

PLACE: Savoy Bar & Grill, 10601 Montgomery Blvd. NE, 87111; phone:
294-WINE (9463)

TIME: Sunday, 6:00 pm social time, 6:30 pm dinner, 7:30 pm speaker.

COST:  Cost is $50 per person; Cash or Check to SAMPE will be accepted.

Menu: Salads: Butter Lettuce and Warm Spinach & Endive; Entrees: Goat
Cheese Ravioli, Beef Sirloin Steak, and Cedar Planked Salmon; Desserts:
Turtle Cheesecake, Warm Apple Tart Tatin .Cash Bar.

Please contact Merry Tidwell at (505) 845-1376 (voice mail) or
mtidwel at sandia.gov <mailto:mtidwel at sandia.gov> to make your
reservations. Reservations must be made no later than 3 pm on Wednesday,
December 3. (Past, but call for available seating).

DECEMBER 9: SANTA FE ALLIANCE HOLIDAY PARTY

5:30pm to 8:00pm, live entertainment, great local food, beverages,
festivities and so much more! Free and open to all Alliance members,
friends, and community members. Hosted at Santa Fe Complex, 632 Aqua
Fria St. Take Romero St southbound (it's one way) from Agua Fria.  When
it opens into a two-way road, turn right into Santa Fe Complex parking
lot. Need more info?  Contact: 989-5362. Santa Fe Alliance is proud to
be a part of National Buy Local Week.

December 10-11: Brown to Green: Make the Connection to Renewable Energy,
Santa Fe

The U.S. EPA and State of New Mexico - Energy, Minerals, & Natural
Resources Department and Environment Department - are hosting a
one-and-a-half day workshop focusing on reusing contaminated or
previously contaminated properties (Superfund, Brownfields, RCRA sites,
mining sites, landfills, etc.) for renewable energy production - solar,
wind, geothermal and biomass.  These renewable energy projects could
range from commercial-scale systems for local energy needs to
utility-scale electricity production supporting a regional grid. This
Workshop will be held at the Inn and Spa at Loretto.  _There is no cost
to register_.  The hotel Loretto has offered the conference rate (of $86
per night) for the entire week of December 7^ -- 14, but the deadline to
make your hotel reservations was November 14. For more information on
the Workshop (i.e., agenda, hotel information, or to register), please
visit our website at: https://www.enstg.com/signup.  Conference code:
 REN75244. Seating is limited. If you have additional questions, please
contact the workshop coordinator Chris Rees at rees_christopher at bah.com
<mailto:rees_christopher at bah.com> or phone 214-746-6562.

December 11: "Polywell Fusion Device 101," LOS ALAMOS

Los Alamos Sustainable Energy Network:

Time:               Socializing begins at 6:30 PM, Meeting is from 7-8 PM

Location:         the Pajarito Environmental Education Center on Orange

Speaker:          Dr. Richard Nebel

The polywell is a plasma confinement concept that combines elements of
inertial electrostatic confinement and magnetic confinement fusion,
intended ultimately to produce fusion power. LASE Network Website:
http://www.lasenergy.net/ For more info, call David Griggs at 661-4572.

DECEMBER 11: USGBC-NM GREEN TIE EVENT, ALBUQUERQUE

This year's party promises to be bigger and better than ever with
cocktails, great food, door prizes and live music. 516 ARTS, 516 Central
Ave. SW (Downtown), 5:30-8:00pm. Contact Kate at 238-0508 or
kate.mclaren at haworth.com for more information.

DECEMBER 13: NMSEA BOARD MEETING, ALBUQUERQUE

Saturday from 11:30am-4 pm, starting with our famous potluck, at the
NMSEA office at 1009 Bradbury SE. That is across the street from
Isotopes park and just north of the LOBO Pit in the UNM Business
Incubator. (Ring the doorbell.) All members are welcome. If you have an
agenda item, please send it to info at nmsea.org <mailto:info at nmsea.org>.

JANUARY 27: ALBUQUERQUE CHAPTER MEETING, REI

Randy Sadewic from Positive Energy, Inc, will give a talk and lead the
discussion titled "Getting into Green Jobs." 6:30 PM, REI Recreational
Equipment store, I-25 and Montano, 1500 Mercantile NE. Call the office
at 246-0400 for more information.

NEW MEXICO SOLAR ENERGY ASSOCIATION

info at nmsea.org <mailto:info at nmsea.org> www.nmsea.org <http://www.nmsea.org/>