[NMSEA-news] Events, Workshops, Announcements, Opportunities

News from New Mexico Solar Energy Association nmsea-news at nmsea.org
Tue Apr 1 11:24:44 MDT 2008

Hi Solar Enthusiasts!

Here's the latest events, workshops, and announcements.

Please see the NMSEA Event Calendar for a more complete list of events,
including all the Earth Day events, at
http://www.nmsea.org/Events/Event_Calendar.php

Also, check out the Sustainable ABQ website for other events in and
around Albuquerque.  Go to http://www.sustainableabq.com/news_events.htm

If you have questions or comments, please contact us!   We value your
input!

NEW MEXICO SOLAR ENERGY ASSOCIATION
1009 Bradbury St SE, Ste. 35
Albuquerque, NM 87106
505-246-0400, 888-886-6765
Fax: 505-246-2251
info at nmsea.org <mailto:info at nmsea.org>
www.nmsea.org <http://www.nmsea.org/>

visit: http://nmsea.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/nmsea-news.

*CALENDAR SUMMARY*

April 11,12,13,19, and 20 : Photovoltaic (PV) Design and Installation
Class/Albuquerque

April 15 -- New ideas for NMSEA Sunpaper articles -- deadline April 15
for Ads and Articles

April 22: NMSEA Albuquerque Chapter Meeting
     Mark Chalom, Architect: Case Studies forPassive Solar Home

April 19 -- Hydrogen Fuel Cell Competition - Albuquerque

April = Earth Day -- Volunteer with NMSEA

April -- Los Alamos Chapter Events

April 26 -- Las Vegas: NMSEA Synergy Fest

May, June, July, August - Crestone Solar School, Solar Heating Design &
Natural Building

May 3 -- 8: American Solar Energy Association's SOLAR 2008

May 10 - 17th: Sustainability Week and The Green Built Tour 2008

*ANNOUNCMENTS SUMMARY *

***Book Review -- Careers in Renewable Energy***

***Chapter Leader Opportunity for NMSEA Albuquerque Chapter***

*** Solar Incentives Set to Expire - Action Alert***

**** *Second Annual Rachel Carson Sense of Wonder
        Intergenerational Poetry, Essay and Photography Contest

*CALENDAR*
Next class: April 11-13 & 19-20, 2008, 8am-5pm
Cost: $500.00 per person; NMSEA members - $450

For more information go to http://www.nmsea.org/Workshops/pv_workshop.php

For registration details, please call our office at 505-246-0400 or
888-886-6765

APRIL 15 -- NEW IDEAS FOR NMSEA SUNPAPER ARTICLES -- DEADLINE APRIL 15
FOR ADS

If you would like to place an advertisement in the Sunpaper, please
submit it by April 15.  For specs and rates go to
http://www.nmsea.org/Sunpaper/advertising.php.

*_Request for Articles_*

The NMSEA Sunpaper has brought exciting new and historical information
to solar enthusiasts since 1978.  We have a lot of members with stories
to tell and innovative ideas to reveal.  We want to bring this
information to the public, so here are some sections you may be able to
help us with.

ELDERS SPEAK:      If you've been around for awhile and would like to
write a retrospective on how things have changed -- send it to us!

TECHIE'S CORNER: Show us your smarts. If you aware of or are developing
a new product -- let us know what it is!  Keep us informed about the
latest developments in technology.

CRYSTAL BALL - Have you been mulling over the possibilities of what is
in our future?  Share your thoughts.

Remember all articles are subject to approval by the editor and NMSEA.
Because we are a non-profit, we need to avoid doing anything that would
advocate a political party or individual.  Articles are due by April
15^th for the May/June Sunpaper.  Please send them to j_beyss at yahoo.com
<mailto:j_beyss at yahoo.com> or info at nmsea.org <mailto:info at nmsea.org>.

APRIL 22  --    NMSEA ALBUQUERQUE CHAPTER MEETING
MARK CHALOM : CASE STUDIES FOR PASSIVE SOLAR HOMES

Mark Chalom, architect, specializes in blending handcrafted Traditional
and Contemporary styles with sustainable technologies.  His experience
spans both design and construction of environmentally appropriate
buildings.  Mark will present 4 case studies of various passive solar
homes he has recently designed. He will explain how various passive
systems combine to produce a year round climate responsive building.
Passive solar is just part of the design criteria, Mark has taken into
account budget, site, community, esthetics, history and other needs that
make up a good design. Mark will also show other integrated sustainable
technologies  to produce a holistic home of the future.

NMSEA Albuquerque Chapter meetings are held on the 4th Tuesday of each
Month, 6:30 PM, at REI in Albuquerque(northwest of the intersection of
I-25 and Montano)

We hope you will join us! Contact information: 246-0400 or 888-886-6765,
<http://www.nmsea.org> email info at nmsea.org <mailto:info at nmsea.org>.

We are always looking for more people and companies to speak at our
monthly meetings.  If you would like to make a presentation, please
contact us with your idea.

APRIL 19 -- HYDROGEN FUEL CELL COMPETITION -- ALBUQUERQUE

The model hydrogen fuel cell car race provides students in grades 6
through 8 with a "hands-on" science and engineering experience where
teams design, build, and race their model cars. Teams are comprised of
up to six students plus a teacher/coach (required).