[NMSEA-news] Call Congress Now!, Event in Santa Fe

News from New Mexico Solar Energy Association nmsea-news at nmsea.org
Wed Nov 14 13:22:19 MST 2007

Hi Solar Enthusiasts!

Here's another event to goto in Santa Fe and action you can take to save
solar.

Please see the NMSEA Event Calendar for a more complete list of events at

http://www.nmsea.org/Events/Event_Calendar.php

If you have questions or comments, please contact us!   We value your input!

NEW MEXICO SOLAR ENERGY ASSOCIATION
1009 Bradbury St SE, Ste. 35
Albuquerque, NM 87106
505-246-0400, 888-886-6765
Fax: 505-246-2251
info at nmsea.org
www.nmsea.org

visit: http://nmsea.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/nmsea-news.

NOVEMBER 16 - GREEN BUISNESS NETWORKING MEETING IN SANTA FE

Greetings Green Biz Networkers!

Green Business Networking Opportunity: How Green Can You Go?
Own a green business?  Work for a green business?  Interested in going
green?  Want to know what's happening in the green industry in Santa Fe?

Join the Green Business Networking group on
November 16, 7:30am at Whole Foods Community Room.

See you there!

______________________________
TAKE ACTION NOW TO SAVE SOLAR
Following are announcements from the American Solar Energy Association
and from Solar Nation, both alerting us of pending action in congress
before Congress adjourns day after tomorrow.

 From the American Solar Energy Association:

Act Now To Save Solar!
ASES Action Alert

Dear ASES member,

We need to make sure that renewable energy receives the support of
Congress.  Unfortunately, it appears that this may not occur unless WE
ACT NOW.

Speaker Pelosi has stated that before Congress adjourns on November
16th, it must pass an energy bill. Great so far.

On Thursday morning, Senate Majority Leader Reid and Speaker Pelosi
decided to drop the renewable energy standard AND THE TAX TITLE out of
the energy bill. Without the tax title there can be no extension of the
investment tax credit for solar and no extension of the production tax
credit for wind energy.

In short, this means that our Congressional Leadership is going to vote
on an energy bill with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for renewable energy.
Eliminating the pro-solar provision from the Energy Act of 2005 JUST AS
THE SOLAR INDUSTRY IS STARTING TO RAMP UP. Likewise the elimination of
the Production Tax Credit will halt new wind development.

THIS ON-AGAIN-OFF-AGAIN SUPPORT MUST STOP. TIME IS SHORT.

ASES, along with many others, wants to encourage you to pick up the
phone and contact your congressional representatives. You can find their
phone numbers here. Please call their Washington offices and tell your
Representatives and Senators to demand that Senator Reid and Speaker
Pelosi include the 8-year extension for the solar investment tax credit
and the production tax credit in the energy bill. Tell them that the
challenges we face need to be addressed and these tax titles MUST be
included.

If you want to say more here are some additional talking points:
•	Clean energy means jobs. ASES' report released this week demonstrates
that the 8.5 million Americans working in the energy efficiency and
renewable energy industries today, can grow to 40 million jobs by 2030
IF WE HAVE FEDERAL LEADERSHIP.
•	America needs carbon-free, local, renewable energy now!
•	The solution to global warming is to be found in the transition to a
sustainable energy economy.
•	Energy independence comes from growing these industries, NOT FROM
PULLING THE CARPET OUT FROM UNDER THEM.
Thank you for your support.

The American Solar Energy Society
Carolyn Beach,
American Solar Energy Society
303.443.3130 x107

P.S. The bill numbers are:  Senate HR6 and House HR3221. Thanks again.

 From Solar Nation:

Dear Renewable Energy Ally:

We've spoken about offering your organization and members the
opportunity to participate in actions that Solar Nation takes on behalf
of solar energy issues.  And I think it was less than two weeks ago that
we sent you a link to an action involving senators who did not want to
fund the energy bill properly (assuming one or more of them represents
your state).

Now, as you have probably read, it's MAYDAY time!

Late last week we heard that Democratic leadership in Congress is
seriously contemplating proceeding with an energy bill that has NO
RENEWABLE ENERGY elements in it at all (apart from support for biofuels
from corn).  This will be an absolute disaster for the country - in a
week when the UN produces its final IPCC report on climate change, the
US Congress decides it's not worth bothering about.

All concerned citizens need to be outraged by this betrayal of our
country and our planet in the name of maintaining good relations with
the oil, gas and coal industry.  If you would like to forward this link
to your members, they can take part in this urgent Action (the House and
Senate will vote LATER THIS WEEK).

Here's the link.  Clicking on it will also explain the background to
this Action.

http://capwiz.com/re-action/go/congressvote

With thanks for all your help,

Chris Stimpson