[NMSEA-news] Conferences, Classes, Solar Fiesta

News from New Mexico Solar Energy Association nmsea-news at nmsea.org
Mon Aug 13 14:50:07 MDT 2007

Hi Solar Enthusiasts!

Here's the current list of events in our area and beyond. First is the calendar summary, then further below are more details for each event:

8/14 – Green Drinks

8/17 – Biodiesel Class, National Biodiesel Foundation

8/17-18 Solar Summit El Paso

8/23-25 - Solar Hot Water Workshop

8/24 – Building Green: Green Expo and Efficient and Effective HVAC Design Seminar

8/25 - UNM Green Design Conference

9/8-16 - Ecovillage Design Education Training

9/15-16 - Solar Fiesta – Highland High School

9/15-16 - Second Annual Kids Solar Micro Stock Car Challenge

9/29 - Hands-on Biodiesel Class

10/12-14, 20-21 - Hands-on PV Design and Installation Class

10/19-21 - Bioneers Conference

11/7-9 Behavior, Energy, and Climate Change Conference! Sacramento, CA

GENERAL INTEREST ITEMS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LIST

Please see the NMSEA Event Calendar for the complete list of events:

http://www.nmsea.org/Events/Event_Calendar.php. We usually only list the

most recent notices here.

Any questions? Please contact us!

New Mexico Solar Energy Association

1009 Bradbury St SE, Ste. 35

Albuquerque, NM 87106

505-246-0400, 888-886-6765

Fax: 505-246-2251

www.nmsea.org <http://www.nmsea.org> <http://www.nmsea.org>

info at nmsea.org <mailto:info at nmsea.org> <mailto:info at nmsea.org>

To subscribe or unsubscribe to this NMSEA-news e-mail list, please

___________________

8/14 – GREEN DRINKS

Green Drinks is happening - Tuesday the 14th from 5:30 - 7 (stay as late
as you want)

Location: Carom Club at 3rd and Central (we will be located near pool
table 18 - head North past the bar)

Hope to see you there!

Learn more about green drinks at
http://www.biothinking.com/greendrinks/index.php

____________________________________

8/17 – BIODIESEL CLASS, NATIONAL BIODIESEL FOUNDATION

Hosted by the National Biodiesel Foundation, the Maryland Energy Administration and the Land of Enchantment Clean Cities Coalition; the workshop will address all of your questions regarding the use of biodiesel in your vehicles.

Santa Fe Community College

Santa Fe, Nm

9:30am to 2:30pm

IMPORTANT!

There is only ONE week left to register for the Biodiesel Workshop
August 17th in Santa Fe at the Community College. Attached is the
registration form for the event.

I need a headcount of attendees that day for lunch. If you have not
already mailed me a registration form, please fax it to me today or
tomorrow (856-5904) so that I can add your name to the list. Thank you.

Frank Burcham
(505) 856-8585
(505) 856-5904 fax
(505) 400-3773 cell

Hosted by the National Biodiesel Foundation, the Maryland Energy Administration and the Land of Enchantment Clean Cities Coalition

Draft Agenda:

• Biodiesel 101

• ASTM D6751 Spec

• BQ9000 Accreditation

• Fuel Distribution

• Supply and Demand of Biodiesel Feedstock

• OEM Warranty Info

• National Legislation Information

• New Mexico Biodiesel Legislation and Incentives

• Local New Mexico Biodiesel Supply and Distribution

There will be a $20 per person registration fee for those attending the workshop (includes continental breakfast, lunch and afternoon break).

To register, send a check for $20 for each attendee, along with attendee's name, organization, address, city, zip code, phone # and e-mail address: to:

Land of Enchantment Clean City Coalition

11621 San Antonio Dr NE

Albuquerque, NM 87122-2437

For more information, please call Frank Burcham at (505) 856-8585 or email loecleancities at comcast.net <mailto:loecleancities at comcast.net> <mailto:loecleancities at comcast.net> .

Thank you.

_____________________________

8/17-18 SOLAR SUMMIT EL PASO

I am pleased to announce that the University of Texas at El Paso will join my office in hosting the Solar Summit El Paso.  This will be the first of its kind, and will include elected officials from local, state, and federal offices, as well as individuals from academia, military, and industry professionals.  The event takes place August 17-18, 2007.  As you may know, El Paso receives over 300 days of sunshine per year, so it is only natural that we host this exciting event.

Please save the date and make plans to join us for the first Solar Summit El Paso. We have blocked off some rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn which is located on the UTEP Campus for any of our guests who may be traveling from out of town.  For more information please visit our website at www.solarsummitelpaso.com <http://www.solarsummitelpaso.com/>.  If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact Carlos Chavez in my office at 915-546-2098.

Sincerely,

Anthony Cobos

El Paso County Judge

__________________________

8/23-25 SOLAR HOT WATER WORKSHOP

Solar Energy International, a non-profit organization dedicated to educating others about renewable energy, is holding a three-day workshop on Solar Hot Water where students will get a chance to learn about different thermal systems both in the classroom and in hands-on demonstrations. Topics covered include: safety procedures, batch heaters, anti-freeze systems, PV powered pumping, radiant floor heating, maintenance, mounting options and more. This workshop is geared towards

home owners & people wanting to work in a growing sustainable industry.

The class will be taught by Chuck Marken who has over 22 years experience installing and servicing Solar Thermal Systems.

When: Thursday August 23rd-Saturday August 25th 9am-5pm

Where: AAA Solar Supply Inc. 2021 Zearing NW, Albuquerque

Price: $450 for SEI members $480 non-members

More information about this class:

http://www.solarenergy.org/workshops/location.php?id=84

SEI Homepage: solarenergy.org

SEI Phone: 970-963-8855

John Selby

Solar Energy International

PO Box 1410

39845 Mathews Lane

Paonia, CO 81428

(970) 527-7657, fax:(970) 527-7659

http://www.solarenergy.org

__________________________

8/24 BUILDING GREEN: EFFICIENT AND EFFECTIVE HVAC DESIGN

Hello friends of Build Green NM!

Green Expo and Building Green: Efficient and Effective HVAC Design Seminar.

Both events are on August 24th at the Marriott Pyramid North:

 From 8:00-4:00 we will be having Building Green: Efficient and Effective HVAC Design Seminar with speaker Doug Garrett here to talk about building and designing for indoor air quality and comfort.

Complete the registration form attached to make sure that you get a spot for this seminar.

 From 1:00-6:00 pm the Green Expo will be in the adjacent room showing off green products and services. This is going to be a great opportunity to meet and learn from others in the Green building community, and see what is available from local and national vendors.

Are you interested in exhibiting? I have attached an exhibitor registration form which gives more detail about exhibiting. Booths are selling quickly, so register as soon as possible.

Please join us for these events. We really appreciate your support in advance and, as always, I welcome your comments and suggestions.

Sara Eatman

Administrator, Build Green NM

www.BuildGreenNM.com <http://www.BuildGreenNM.com> <http://www.BuildGreenNM.com>

(505) 344-3294

____________________________

8/25 2007 UNM GREEN DESIGN CONFERENCE

UNM Continuing Education presents an amazing collaboration oforganizations in its 2007 Green Design Conference: "Sustainability Inside and Out."

Exhibits, speakers, and the UNM Bookstore on site along with great meals, snacks, and networking opportunities will make this a day of difference for professionals and homeowners alike.

Visit http://dce.unm.edu ( http://dce.unm.edu/ )for more info.

________________________________

9/8-16 ECOVILLAGE DESIGN EDUCATION TRAINING

Ecovillage Design Education (EDE) is a four-part introductory training course being offered over the course of the next year through the Univ.of New Mexico Continuing Education. The program is dedicated to creating solutions to global environmental, social, and economic issues through local and regional community building. Course content provides an overview of design considerations for establishing sustainable communities ("eco-villages") in both urban and rural settings in order to promote and prepare for a sustainable future and has already been presented and implemented in ten other countries including Germany, Brazil, and India. This year EDE is being offered for the first time in the United States, right here in New Mexico! EDE is a project of Gaia Education, a component of the Global Ecovillage Network and an official contribution to the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development.

For detailed course or registration information, visit:

www.ecovillagedesignsouthwest.org <http://www.ecovillagedesignsouthwest.org>

<http://www.ecovillagedesignsouthwest.org> or e-mail

info at ecovillagedesignsouthwest.org <mailto:info at ecovillagedesignsouthwest.org>.

______________________________

9/15-16 - SOLAR FIESTA

Find Brighter SOLutions at this year's Solar Fiesta…

Our new location (Highland High School) is a brighter solution with a larger indoor exhibit area and greater workshop capacity. Come to see and learn about brighter solutions to enhance your life!

Exhibits Galore!

Meet professionals in the solar and renewable industries and like-minded organizations face-to-face. Find qualified installers. Get answers to your questions, from basics to the nitty-gritty technical. See new products.

(Visit our website for a list of this year's sponsors and exhibitors:

www.nmsea.org <http://www.nmsea.org> <http://www.nmsea.org>)

Workshops--

Classes on renewable energy, energy efficiency and sustainable living are organized in a "track" approach. (Visit www.nmsea.org <http://www.nmsea.org>

<http://www.nmsea.org>, to see the developing schedule.)

Topics include:

Solar Financing

Energy Efficiency Savings

Solar Tax Credits

Net Metering

Renewable Energy Certificates

Solar Electricity

Grid-tied PV

Remote PV

Wind

Hybrid

Solar Thermal

Hot Water

Radiant Heat

Solar Cooling

Green Building

Passive Design

Alternative Materials

Water

Solar Pumping

Catchment

Greywater

Alternative Fuels

Biodiesel

Veggie Oil

Electric/Hybrids

And More!

Free Workshops--

We offer a free, hour-long workshop each morning of the Solar Fiesta at 9:30am. If you're a newbie to solar, come get a brief introduction. Then decide whether to stay for the exhibits and other workshops.

Especially for Kids

Solar Scavenger Hunt

Visit exhibits to gather solar clues and win a prize!!!

Solar Cars--

Bring your own model solar car or purchase one to assemble and race.

See more details in separate listing below.

Other Solar Projects--

NMSEA encourages students to bring their science projects to the Fiesta to show others. Please contact the office, if you are interested.

For the Industry and Other Interested Folk, the Technical Sessions--

NMSEA began as a technical society. Numerous requests brought back that quality last year. We are proud to repeat the Technical Sessions.

Marlene Brown has issued a call for papers to solar techies, professionals and enthusiasts (see above). That and suggestions for topics are on our website. Papers will be reviewed by a committee of solar professionals.

Submission deadline: August 1.

We anticipate another first-rate, well-rounded session!

Volunteers--

For Solar Fiesta and throughout the year, we rely on and greatly appreciate volunteers. You are the ingredient which makes NMSEA and the Solar Fiesta successful!

Volunteer opportunities abound. Please contact us for tasks that would be helpful. No solar knowledge needed!Currently, we are looking for a few good people to coordinate several activities. If you are interested in helping to manage the Fiesta, please contact the office, info at nmsea.org <mailto:info at nmsea.org> <mailto:info at nmsea.org>, 505-246-0400, 888-886-6765. To volunteer over the weekend, contact John Salinas, jsalinas at vt.edu <mailto:jsalinas at vt.edu> <mailto:jsalinas at vt.edu>.

____________________________________

9/15-16 SECOND ANNUAL KIDS SOLAR MICRO STOCK CAR CHALLENGE

Join the “Second Annual Kids Solar Micro Stock Car Challenge” races at Solar Fiesta 07 Sept. 15-16 and win cash & merchandise awards in numerous categories.  Bring your own car, order a new one from www.nmsea.org or buy one at the Solar Fiesta. If you can not afford to buy one and have a NMSEA family member or sponsor you can volunteer as a solar car kid and you can probably earn enough points to get a solar car kit. P.R. Solar Car trade in Bring your old solar powered car running or not to the 07 Sept. 15-16 Solar Fiesta and we will buy it or you can trade it in on one of the new “X-treem Series” solar cars. P.R. Win a toy Solar Car Come to the Kids Corner at the “07” Solar Fiesta Sept. 15-16, buy a raffle ticket for $2. & win a toy Solar Car, several will be raffled off Sat. & Sun. “Great odds!’

Questions or comments about the kits, races, or sponsorships, please contact Monte @505.422.2268 or email; solpwr at plateautel.net Monte Ogdahl Thanks for the support

_________________________________

9/29 – BIODIESEL CLASS

The next hands-on Biodiesel Class is 9/29.

James Burgess and Eric Chrisp continue their series of hands-on Biodiesel101classes. They will cover sourcing oil, economic and ecological pros and cons, preferred vehicles, how to make your own biodiesel processor for under $400, how to brew on a small or medium scale, how to test oil quality, safety issues, washing fuel, politics, why we drink beer when we brew and much, much more!

Why: Because it's fun to make biodiesel! Oh yeah, and because "here we have a serious problem: America is addicted to oil, which is often imported from unstable parts of the world" (G. W. Bush, January 2006).

Learn many more reasons at the workshop.

Who: James Burgess and Eric Chrisp have been declared "Biodiesel Jedi" by the New Mexico Solar Energy Association. They have conducted numerous presentations and workshops. Each has been running one or more vehicles on home-brewed biodiesel for over two years.

Non-Members - $110

NMSEA Members - $99.

See http://www.nmsea.org/Workshops/biodiesel_workshop.php for further details.

_____________________________________

10/12-14, 20-21 – HANDS-ON PV DESIGN AND INSTALLATION CLASS

Photovoltaic (PV) Design and Installation Class (Hands-On) 5-Day Class

(Fri-Sat-Sun-Sat-Sun)

Sponsored by New Mexico Solar Energy Association

Next class: October 12-14 & 20-21, 2007

Cost: $500.00 per person; NMSEA members - $450

Are you interested in learning more about solar electricity? Would you like to learn about siting, sizing and safely installing a PV system?

This class will be held over two weekends, October 12-14 and 20-21, 2007. Topics to be covered include photovoltaic components, designing and sizing a system, siting, and the configuration of stand-alone (off-grid) and grid-tie (utility-connected) systems. Safety and energy efficiency will also be covered.

The class will start with three days in the classroom. It will include visiting instructors, tours of local PV systems and hands-on labs. The last two days will be spent installing a PV system. Students will have the opportunity to hear from local PV business owners, installers and other PV experts. Depending upon the group's interest, there may be evening slideshows and talks from members of the

New Mexico Solar Energy Association (NMSEA).

The instructor is Marlene Brown. Marlene is President of the New Mexico Solar Energy Association (NMSEA). She has been working with PV systems for over 15 years and has installed hundreds of systems in the U.S. and the developing world. Marlene has been teaching PV classes for over 10 years. There may be other co- and guest instructors throughout the course.

http://www.nmsea.org/Workshops/pv_workshop.php contains these details.

Contact the office to register (info at top).

____________________________________

10/19-21 – BIONEERS CONFERENCE

The Bioneers Conference <http://www.bioneers.org/conference> is a dynamic, leading-edge forum, focused on practical and visionary solutions for restoring the Earth’s imperiled ecosystems and healing our human communities.

See http://www.bioneers.org/ for details.

____________________________________

11/7-9 - BEHAVIOR, ENERGY, AND CLIMATE CHANGE CONFERENCE

Sacramento, California

The first-ever Behavior, Energy and Climate Change Conference ("BECC") is a national conference focused on understanding the behavior and decision-making of individuals and organizations and on using that knowledge to help accelerate our transition to an energy-efficient and low-carbon economy.

The conference program and registration details will be announced soon on the conference Web site: http://aceee.org/conf/07becc/07beccindex.htm.

What Topics Will Be Addressed? (partial list)

Behavior and technology-design, adoption, and use

Motivating individual and collective action

Behavior and policy design and regulation

Insights from anthropology, sociology, psychology, and public health

research and interventions

Increasing program participation and effectiveness

Incorporating behavior in energy potential studies

Lessons from 30 years of program evaluations

People are different-leveraging segmentation

Behavior in organizations

Impacts of changing lifestyles on energy use

Social norms and networks

Economic models and behavior

Social marketing and other behavior change strategies

Attitudes, opinions and "public will"

Messages, messengers, and role models

Who Should Attend?

This first-ever conference on Behavior, Energy, and Climate Change will attract a diverse group. The meeting will be of interest to anyone interested in behavior, energy, and climate issues, especially researchers; policymakers and advisors (national, state and local); program developers and implementers; marketing, advertising, and communications professionals; corporations; consultants; evaluators; utilities; technology manufacturers; NGO's; faculty and students.

Other Details

The Behavior, Energy and Climate Change Conference will be held November 7 - 9, 2007 in Sacramento, California. The conference will begin on

Wednesday evening, November 7 with Registration and a Networking

Reception from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Two full days of sessions will be held on November 8 and 9.

Online registration will be available soon at

http://aceee.org/conf/07becc/07beccindex.htm.

________________________________

GENERAL INTEREST:

__________________________

Sponsors Needed for the Second Annual Kids Solar Car Races We would like to find sponsors to buy the $20. kits down to $10.00 or so and or to provide prizes or prize money for the competition races. The sponsors will be posted on a bulletin board at the kids area and the NMSEA booth; they can also have their business cards or card size add placed on the car race tracks. The winners will be published in the Sunpaper, posted on MNSEA's Web sight and offered as a press release to Solar Today, Electric Vehicle magazines etc. Sponsors can send checks to NMSEA 1009 Bradbury SE. Alb. NM 87106. Please note “kids solar races” on check or credit card.

The New Solar milli Race Car Kit:

Each kit includes two unbreakable solar cells, a pre assembled

drive unit, (motor, gears& wheels), a printed instructed, body sheet,

(a simple straight cut and fold to shape), and a steering axle with wheels.

Peel back tape is included for adhering the parts.

Let The Races Begin !

Dragster Races -These will be timed races held on straight tracks with multiple cars competing. The cars will challenge until the top three are determined. Before each race an insolation reading will be taken.

Rally Race (Oval, Hill Climb, & Jump) - Two cars at a time will compete in a timed lapp or lapps.

Demolition Derby - This will be multiple cars placed in a round track, all cars will start at once & go until the last one moving wins.

There will be individual prizes for each of these races plus a Grand Prize for the best performance in the most competitions.

solpwr at plateautel.net

Monte Ogdahl

Thanks for the support.

___________________

THE LASE NEWSLETTER

LASE Newsletter is taking the summer off, but here is a recent report

that many of you will find interesting.

"zerocarbonbritainis a radical vision of Britain’s energy future, outlining bold policy drivers to reduce carbon emissions to zero within 20 years. What follows is a scenario demonstrating possible outcomes of these policies, using only existing and proven technologies."

Download from http://www.zerocarbonbritain.com/ (warning: 4 MB)

________________________

HELP ASES WIN UP TO $5 MILLION TO BOOST RENEWABLE ENERGY

The American Solar Energy Society is now one of 5 finalists to win up to $5 million to increase the use of renewable energy throughout the U.S. and beyond. The competition is fierce but we can win through a concerted grassroots effort that includes you, your friends and the people you work with in promoting green and sustainable energy solutions. Please take action and forward this email to everyone in your address book. The deadline is approaching. Vote now for “Wind and Solar”

Do you have an American Express card or know someone who might have one?

Your vote (and forwarded email) can help us give renewable energy a big

boost.

American Express is conducting an online competition called the Members Project to bring one big breakthrough idea to the world. The project with the most votes gets the funding. Even if you voted in earlier rounds you can vote again now that we’re in the finals. Our project will increase the residential use of wind and solar energy to reduce climate change and to help people save money on monthly utility bills. Please help us bring this important project to life.

1) CAST YOUR VOTE: If you are an American Express cardholder go to www.MembersProject.com <http://www.MembersProject.com> <http://www.membersproject.com/> and vote now for “Wind and Solar for Residential”

2) SPREAD THE WORD: Urge your friends to vote for the “Wind and Solar for Residential” project at www.MembersProject.com <http://www.MembersProject.com>

<http://www.membersproject.com/> – this is critically important

The deadline to vote is August 5, 2007.

The time for renewable energy is now. Our vision is to create a small power generating system that will provide cooling, heating, and electricity for the typical mid-sized home. Powered from renewable energy sources like wind and solar, this affordable system can easily be integrated into an existing home or added to a new home.

Learn more and cast your vote at: www.MembersProject.com <http://www.MembersProject.com> for the “Wind and Solar” project.

The American Solar Energy Society thanks you for your vote.