[NMSEA-news] Conferences, Classes, Solar Fiesta

News from New Mexico Solar Energy Association nmsea-news at nmsea.org
Wed Aug 1 14:54:04 MDT 2007

Hi Solar Enthusiasts!

Here's the current list of events in our area and beyond. First is the
calendar summary, then further below are more details for each event:

8/1 - Deadline for Papers for 2007 Solar Fiesta Technical Sessions
8/1 – Energy Matters TV Interview of NMSEA re Solar Fiesta
8/1-3 Best Green Practices Summit
8/17 – Biodiesel Class, National Biodiesel Foundation
8/23-25 - Solar Hot Water Workshop
8/24 – Building Green: Green Expo and Efficient and Effective HVAC
Design Seminar
8/25 - 2007 UNM Green Design Conference
9/8-16 - Ecovillage Design Education Training
9/15 - Solar Fiesta – Highland High School
9/29 - Hands-on Biodiesel Class
10/12-14, 20-21 - Hands-on PV Design and Installation Class
10/19-21 - Bioneers Conference
11/7-9 Behavior, Energy, and Climate Change Conference! Sacramento, CA

Please see the NMSEA Event Calendar for the complete list of events:
http://www.nmsea.org/Events/Event_Calendar.php. We usually only list the
most recent notices here.

Any questions? Please contact us!

New Mexico Solar Energy Association
1009 Bradbury St SE, Ste. 35
Albuquerque, NM 87106
505-246-0400, 888-886-6765
Fax: 505-246-2251
www.nmsea.org <http://www.nmsea.org>
info at nmsea.org <mailto:info at nmsea.org>

To subscribe or unsubscribe to this NMSEA-news e-mail list, please
visit: http://nmsea.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/nmsea-news.

______________________________________
8/1 ENERGY MATTERS RADIO INTERVIEW OF NMSEA

Mary McArthur, Jean Arya, and Jim Barrera. Hi, All! on GOV TV 16. The
subject was Solar Fiesta. Please spread the word!

____________________________________
8/1 - DEADLINE FOR 2007 SOLAR FIESTA TECHNICAL SESSIONS PAPERS

Call for Papers for the Second Annual Solar Technical Session
To be presented at the Solar Fiesta: Sunday, September 16, 2007

In the spirit of sharing information throughout our organization and
community, we are repeating the Technical Session on Sunday of the Solar
Fiesta. We ask you to submit your paper for review by a selection
committee prior to presenting at the Solar Fiesta.

The committee is looking for one-to-five page papers including graphics
on any technical issue involving solar energy. We are limiting the
papers to solar since this is the focus of our organization.

Here is a reminder of some suggested topics or directions for a submittal:

* Information on current or past research
* Tell us about your company and its growth
* Share one of your exciting or challenging projects
* Tell us about a specific product and how it works
* Information on educational opportunities
* Wow us with charts, graphs, flow charts and bubble diagrams. (Metric
excepted)
* Any other technical information that is applicable for this discussion

Again, we have asked some of our long standing professionals and past
board members to help support this session by being on the committee to
review submittals and help produce a well-rounded, first-rate session.
We are committed to supporting each other through this sharing activity.

Please submit your paper by email (Info at nmsea.org
<mailto:Info at nmsea.org>) or mail to NMSEA by August 1, 2007.

Marlene Brown

______________________________________
8/1-3 – BEST GREEN PRACTICES SUMMIT

Mayor Chavez is sponsoring the "Best Green Practices Summit" at the
Albuquerque Convention Center in August. The Summit has been developed
to bring together key leadership from across New Mexico to network and
share best green practices. Breakout sessions will present best
practices in green building and development, energy conservation,
resource conservation and waste reduction along with other practices
that are proven to reduce our impact on the environment.

The Summit will kick off with a reception the evening of August 1st,
6:30 pm. at the Hyatt Regency Downtown. Full day sessions will take
place at the Albuquerque Convention Center on August 2 and 3. For those
interested a tour of green buildings is scheduled for Saturday August 4th.

 From innovative session topics to the tour of green buildings, this
diverse summit will provide the essential knowledge take-away to more
than justify your valuable time away from the office. Registration fee
for the four day event is $150 dollars per person. Or if you want to
participate in the vender display the fee is $250 per day which includes
entry for two participants. To RSVP, please call 311 in Albuquerque.

Thank you and I look forward to seeing you at the summit.

John W. Soladay, Sustainability Coordinator
Office of the Mayor
P.O. Box 1293
Albuquerque, NM 87103
505-768-3052

____________________________________
8/17 – BIODIESEL CLASS, NATIONAL BIODIESEL FOUNDATION
Hosted by the National Biodiesel Foundation, the Maryland Energy
Administration and the Land of Enchantment Clean Cities Coalition; the
workshop will address all of your questions regarding the use of
biodiesel in your vehicles.

Santa Fe Community College
Santa Fe, Nm
9:30am to 2:30pm

Hosted by the National Biodiesel Foundation, the Maryland Energy
Administration and the Land of Enchantment Clean Cities Coalition

Draft Agenda:
• Biodiesel 101
• ASTM D6751 Spec
• BQ9000 Accreditation
• Fuel Distribution
• Supply and Demand of Biodiesel Feedstock
• OEM Warranty Info
• National Legislation Information
• New Mexico Biodiesel Legislation and Incentives
• Local New Mexico Biodiesel Supply and Distribution

There will be a $20 per person registration fee for those attending the
workshop (includes continental breakfast, lunch and afternoon break).

To register, send a check for $20 for each attendee, along with
attendee's name, organization, address, city, zip code, phone # and
e-mail address: to:

Land of Enchantment Clean City Coalition
11621 San Antonio Dr NE
Albuquerque, NM 87122-2437

For more information, please call Frank Burcham at (505) 856-8585 or
email loecleancities at comcast.net <mailto:loecleancities at comcast.net> .
Thank you.

__________________________
8/23-25 SOLAR HOT WATER WORKSHOP

Solar Energy International, a non-profit organization dedicated to
educating others about renewable energy, is holding a three-day workshop
on Solar Hot Water where students will get a chance to learn about
different thermal systems both in the classroom and in hands-on
demonstrations. Topics covered include: safety procedures, batch
heaters, anti-freeze systems, PV powered pumping, radiant floor heating,
maintenance, mounting options and more. This workshop is geared towards
home owners & people wanting to work in a growing sustainable industry.
The class will be taught by Chuck Marken who has over 22 years
experience installing and servicing Solar Thermal Systems.

When: Thursday August 23rd-Saturday August 25th 9am-5pm
Where: AAA Solar Supply Inc. 2021 Zearing NW, Albuquerque
Price: $450 for SEI members $480 non-members

More information about this class:
http://www.solarenergy.org/workshops/location.php?id=84

SEI Homepage: solarenergy.org
SEI Phone: 970-963-8855

John Selby
Solar Energy International
PO Box 1410
39845 Mathews Lane
Paonia, CO 81428
(970) 527-7657, fax:(970) 527-7659
http://www.solarenergy.org

__________________________
8/24 BUILDING GREEN: EFFICIENT AND EFFECTIVE HVAC DESIGN
Hello friends of Build Green NM!
Green Expo and Building Green: Efficient and Effective HVAC Design Seminar.
Both events are on August 24th at the Marriott Pyramid North:
 From 8:00-4:00 we will be having Building Green: Efficient and
Effective HVAC Design Seminar with speaker Doug Garrett here to talk
about building and designing for indoor air quality and comfort.
Complete the registration form attached to make sure that you get a spot
for this seminar.
 From 1:00-6:00 pm the Green Expo will be in the adjacent room showing
off green products and services. This is going to be a great opportunity
to meet and learn from others in the Green building community, and see
what is available from local and national vendors.
Are you interested in exhibiting? I have attached an exhibitor
registration form which gives more detail about exhibiting. Booths are
selling quickly, so register as soon as possible.
Please join us for these events. We really appreciate your support in
advance and, as always, I welcome your comments and suggestions.

Sara Eatman
Administrator, Build Green NM
www.BuildGreenNM.com <http://www.BuildGreenNM.com>
(505) 344-3294
____________________________
8/25 2007 UNM GREEN DESIGN CONFERENCE

UNM Continuing Education presents an amazing collaboration of
organizations in its 2007 Green Design Conference: "Sustainability
Inside and Out."
Exhibits, speakers, and the UNM Bookstore on site along with great
meals, snacks, and networking opportunities will make this a day of
difference for professionals and homeowners alike.
Visit http://dce.unm.edu ( http://dce.unm.edu/ )for more info.

________________________________
9/8-16 ECOVILLAGE DESIGN EDUCATION TRAINING

Ecovillage Design Education (EDE) is a four-part introductory training
course being offered over the course of the next year through the
Univ.of New Mexico Continuing Education. The program is dedicated to
creating solutions to global environmental, social, and economic issues
through local and regional community building. Course content provides
an overview of design considerations for establishing sustainable
communities ("eco-villages") in both urban and rural settings in order
to promote and prepare for a sustainable future and has already been
presented and implemented in ten other countries including Germany,
Brazil, and India. This year EDE is being offered for the first time in
the United States, right here in New Mexico! EDE is a project of Gaia
Education, a component of the Global Ecovillage Network and an official
contribution to the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable
Development.

For detailed course or registration information, visit:
www.ecovillagedesignsouthwest.org
<http://www.ecovillagedesignsouthwest.org> or e-mail
info at ecovillagedesignsouthwest.org.

______________________________
9/15-16 - SOLAR FIESTA

Find Brighter SOLutions at this year's Solar Fiesta…

Our new location (Highland High School) is a brighter solution with a
larger indoor exhibit area and greater workshop capacity. Come to see
and learn about brighter solutions to enhance your life!

Exhibits Galore!

Meet professionals in the solar and renewable industries and like-minded
organizations face-to-face. Find qualified installers. Get answers to
your questions, from basics to the nitty-gritty technical. See new products.
(Visit our website for a list of this year's sponsors and exhibitors:
www.nmsea.org <http://www.nmsea.org>)

Workshops--

Classes on renewable energy, energy efficiency and sustainable living
are organized in a "track" approach. (Visit www.nmsea.org
<http://www.nmsea.org>, to see the developing schedule.)

Topics include:

Solar Financing
Energy Efficiency Savings
Solar Tax Credits
Net Metering
Renewable Energy Certificates
Solar Electricity
Grid-tied PV
Remote PV
Wind
Hybrid
Solar Thermal
Hot Water
Radiant Heat
Solar Cooling
Green Building
Passive Design
Alternative Materials
Water
Solar Pumping
Catchment
Greywater
Alternative Fuels
Biodiesel
Veggie Oil
Electric/Hybrids
And More!

Free Workshops--

We offer a free, hour-long workshop each morning of the Solar Fiesta at
9:30am. If you're a newbie to solar, come get a brief introduction. Then
decide whether to stay for the exhibits and other workshops.

Especially for Kids
Solar Scavenger Hunt
Visit exhibits to gather solar clues and win a prize!!!
Solar Cars--
Bring your own model solar car or purchase one to assemble and race.
Other Solar Projects--
NMSEA encourages students to bring their science projects to the Fiesta
to show others. Please contact the office, if you are interested.

For the Industry and Other Interested Folk, the Technical Sessions--

NMSEA began as a technical society. Numerous requests brought back that
quality last year. We are proud to repeat the Technical Sessions.
Marlene Brown has issued a call for papers to solar techies,
professionals and enthusiasts (see above). That and suggestions for
topics are on our website. Papers will be reviewed by a committee of
solar professionals.
Submission deadline: August 1.

We anticipate another first-rate, well-rounded session!

Volunteers--
For Solar Fiesta and throughout the year, we rely on and greatly
appreciate volunteers. You are the ingredient which makes NMSEA and the
Solar Fiesta successful!
Volunteer opportunities abound. Please contact us for tasks that would
be helpful. No solar knowledge needed!
Currently, we are looking for a few good people to coordinate several
activities. If you are interested in helping to manage the Fiesta,
please contact the office, info at nmsea.org <mailto:info at nmsea.org>,
505-246-0400, 888-886-6765. To volunteer over the weekend, contact John
Salinas, jsalinas at vt.edu <mailto:jsalinas at vt.edu>.

____________________________________
9/29 – BIODIESEL CLASS

The next hands-on Biodiesel Class is 9/29.

James Burgess and Eric Chrisp continue their series of hands-on
Biodiesel101classes. They will cover sourcing oil, economic and
ecological pros and cons, preferred vehicles, how to make your own
biodiesel processor for under $400, how to brew on a small or medium
scale, how to test oil quality, safety issues, washing fuel, politics,
why we drink beer when we brew and much, much more!
Why: Because it's fun to make biodiesel! Oh yeah, and because "here we
have a serious problem: America is addicted to oil, which is often
imported from unstable parts of the world" (G. W. Bush, January 2006).
Learn many more reasons at the workshop.

Who: James Burgess and Eric Chrisp have been declared "Biodiesel Jedi"
by the New Mexico Solar Energy Association. They have conducted numerous
presentations and workshops. Each has been running one or more vehicles
on home-brewed biodiesel for over two years.

Non-Members - $110
NMSEA Members - $99.

See http://www.nmsea.org/Workshops/biodiesel_workshop.php for further
details.

Next class: October 12-14 & 20-21, 2007
Cost: $500.00 per person; NMSEA members - $450

Are you interested in learning more about solar electricity? Would you
like to learn about siting, sizing and safely installing a PV system?

This class will be held over two weekends, October 12-14 and 20-21,
2007. Topics to be covered include photovoltaic components, designing
and sizing a system, siting, and the configuration of stand-alone
(off-grid) and grid-tie (utility-connected) systems. Safety and energy
efficiency will also be covered.

The class will start with three days in the classroom. It will include
visiting instructors, tours of local PV systems and hands-on labs. The
last two days will be spent installing a PV system. Students will have
the opportunity to hear from local PV business owners, installers and
other PV experts. Depending upon the group's interest, there may be
evening slideshows and talks from members of the
New Mexico Solar Energy Association (NMSEA).

The instructor is Marlene Brown. Marlene is President of the New Mexico
Solar Energy Association (NMSEA). She has been working with PV systems
for over 15 years and has installed hundreds of systems in the U.S. and
the developing world. Marlene has been teaching PV classes for over 10
years. There may be other co- and guest instructors throughout the course.

http://www.nmsea.org/Workshops/pv_workshop.php contains these details.
Contact the office to register (info at top).

____________________________________
10/19-21 – BIONEERS CONFERENCE

The Bioneers Conference <http://www.bioneers.org/conference> is a
dynamic, leading-edge forum, focused on practical and visionary
solutions for restoring the Earth’s imperiled ecosystems and healing our
human communities.

See http://www.bioneers.org/ for details.

____________________________________
11/7-9 - BEHAVIOR, ENERGY, AND CLIMATE CHANGE CONFERENCE

Sacramento, California

The first-ever Behavior, Energy and Climate Change Conference ("BECC")
is a national conference focused on understanding the behavior and
decision-making of individuals and organizations and on using that
knowledge to help accelerate our transition to an energy-efficient and
low-carbon economy.

The conference program and registration details will be announced soon
on the conference Web site: http://aceee.org/conf/07becc/07beccindex.htm.

What Topics Will Be Addressed? (partial list)

Behavior and technology-design, adoption, and use
Motivating individual and collective action
Behavior and policy design and regulation
Insights from anthropology, sociology, psychology, and public health
research and interventions
Increasing program participation and effectiveness
Incorporating behavior in energy potential studies
Lessons from 30 years of program evaluations
People are different-leveraging segmentation
Behavior in organizations
Impacts of changing lifestyles on energy use
Social norms and networks
Economic models and behavior
Social marketing and other behavior change strategies
Attitudes, opinions and "public will"
Messages, messengers, and role models

Who Should Attend?

This first-ever conference on Behavior, Energy, and Climate Change will
attract a diverse group. The meeting will be of interest to anyone
interested in behavior, energy, and climate issues, especially
researchers; policymakers and advisors (national, state and local);
program developers and implementers; marketing, advertising, and
communications professionals; corporations; consultants; evaluators;
utilities; technology manufacturers; NGO's; faculty and students.

Other Details

The Behavior, Energy and Climate Change Conference will be held November
7 - 9, 2007 in Sacramento, California. The conference will begin on
Wednesday evening, November 7 with Registration and a Networking
Reception from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Two full days of sessions will be
held on November 8 and 9.
Online registration will be available soon at
http://aceee.org/conf/07becc/07beccindex.htm.

________________________________
General interest:

___________________

THE LASE NEWSLETTER
LASE Newsletter is taking the summer off, but here is a recent report
that many of you will find interesting.

"zerocarbonbritainis a radical vision of Britain’s energy future,
outlining bold policy drivers to reduce carbon emissions to zero within
20 years. What follows is a scenario demonstrating possible outcomes of
these policies, using only existing and proven technologies."

Download from http://www.zerocarbonbritain.com/ (warning: 4 MB)

________________________
HELP ASES WIN UP TO $5 MILLION TO BOOST RENEWABLE ENERGY

The American Solar Energy Society is now one of 5 finalists to win up to
$5 million to increase the use of renewable energy throughout the U.S.
and beyond. The competition is fierce but we can win through a concerted
grassroots effort that includes you, your friends and the people you
work with in promoting green and sustainable energy solutions. Please
take action and forward this email to everyone in your address book. The
deadline is approaching. Vote now for “Wind and Solar”

Do you have an American Express card or know someone who might have one?
Your vote (and forwarded email) can help us give renewable energy a big
boost.
American Express is conducting an online competition called the Members
Project to bring one big breakthrough idea to the world. The project
with the most votes gets the funding. Even if you voted in earlier
rounds you can vote again now that we’re in the finals. Our project will
increase the residential use of wind and solar energy to reduce climate
change and to help people save money on monthly utility bills. Please
help us bring this important project to life.

1) CAST YOUR VOTE: If you are an American Express cardholder go to
www.MembersProject.com <http://www.membersproject.com/> and vote now for
“Wind and Solar for Residential”

2) SPREAD THE WORD: Urge your friends to vote for the “Wind and Solar
for Residential” project at www.MembersProject.com
<http://www.membersproject.com/> – this is critically important

The deadline to vote is August 5, 2007.

The time for renewable energy is now. Our vision is to create a small
power generating system that will provide cooling, heating, and
electricity for the typical mid-sized home. Powered from renewable
energy sources like wind and solar, this affordable system can easily be
integrated into an existing home or added to a new home.

Learn more and cast your vote at: www.MembersProject.com for the “Wind
and Solar” project.
The American Solar Energy Society thanks you for your vote.