Solar Oven Project
- Find two cardboard boxes, one that fits inside the other, with 2-3"
on all sides (and the bottom).
- Inner box should have an area of 120 to 180 square inches (for example,
12" x 12"), and be 9"-12" deep.
- Other comments about solar ovens:
- Double strength glass for single panes, tempered for double pane
- Tempura paint can be used
- cooking in jars
- Homemade glue: 1/2 cup flour, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 cup water.
- Reflectors from cardboard as well. Need lots of extra cardboard for
- Need cloth strips for hinges, pieces of string.
Solar Electricity - Photovoltaics II
- Basic types of solar cells: mono/poly crystalline, amorphous (thin film),
- Semiconductor candidates: Germanium, silicon, indium phosphide, gallium
aresenide, cadmium telluride, aluminum antimonide, cadmium selenide, gallium
- How Solar Cells Work - n-p junctions/separation of charge carriers.
- voltage vs. sunlight characteristic
- Books on semiconductor aspects
- Cell design/testing: Sandia/NREL/Australian Institute
- Voltage/current/power characteristics
- Temperature derating
- Pay Back Times
- PV Industry
- AC/DC Electricity
- Balance of System: charge controllers, inverters, batteries
- Costs, lifetimes, failures, etc.
- Dangers: Multiple Energy Sources, etc
- NEC - article 690, Sandia - John Wiles
- Appliance loads and sine wave requirements
- Concentrator Systems
- Alternative types of storage
- General Resources