- Oct 17: Global Warming Talk by Dr. Charles "Chick" Keller:
Taos, Taos Convention Center, 7:30pm.
- Oct 22: NM PRC RPS Hearing, Santa Fe, Marion Hall
(Old Hospital), 10 am.
Oct 27: Trip to Albquerque to retrieve active hot water
system: Meet at EcoVersity at 9am, or meet at Kenny Freeberg's home in
Albuquerque, 1511 Ridgecrest Drive, near Gibson and San Mateo. All are welcome.
Nov 3: Harvest Festival with solar cooking at EcoVersity, 2pm
to 6pm. All are welcome
Nov 4: Trip to Wagon Mound to begin PV installation: Meet
at EcoVersity at 10 am.
Review of Photovoltaics: Components, costs, output
Solar Electricity - Photovoltaics II
- Basic types of solar cells: mono/poly crystalline, amorphous (thin film)
- Semiconductor candidates: Germanium, silicon, indium phosphide, gallium
aresenide, cadmium telluride, aluminum antimonide, cadmium selenide, gallium
- How Solar Cells Work - n-p junctions/separation of charge carriers.
- voltage vs. sunlight characteristic
- Theoretical Efficiencies - Band Gap Theory - < 28% for simple Si cells,
polycrystalline, lower for amorphous cells.
- Books on semiconductor aspects
- Cell design/testing: Sandia/NREL/Australian Institute
- Voltage/current/power characteristics
- Temperature derating
- Pay Back Times
- PV Industry
- AC/DC Electricity
- Balance of System: charge controllers, inverters, batteries
- Costs, lifetimes, failures, etc.
- Dangers: Multiple Energy Sources, etc
- NEC - article 690, Sandia - John Wiles
- Appliance loads and sine wave requirements
- Concentrator Systems
- Alternative types of storage
- General Resources